Pressure Headaches prossibly from drug Reverse tolerance
For the past three years I have been dealing with these pressure headaches varying in severity. It feels like my brain is swelling and sometimes at it's worse it feels like my brain stem and spinal cord are as well. I noticed that drugs were the cause of these headaches. Not large amounts of drugs like someone would take to get high but any amount (even small) of a drug. For example say the alcohol in tooth paste or caffeine in tea. Those things would give me these headaches and the more that my body absorbed into the bloodstream the worse the headache would be. I didn't know this when it started but I have tested it thoroughly and I know that these drugs which in small amounts are in things people use in every day life, something is happening in my body that's making them affect me many times more whereas a normal person wouldn't notice. If I were to say take a drink of beer that would cause an extreme headache versus a food that has glycerin in it. I even experience this with chemicals the body produces itself such as endorphin which is similar to a synthetic opiate. It all affects me the same in different severity.

I began to research what this could possibly be and I found some resources about something called reverse tolerance or sensitization where there is a reverse of the side effects from a drug. It has been seen in a lot of marijuana smokers when they stop smoking for a while then come back and find their tolerance completely gone and are extremely sensitive to the drug. But There have been many studies on rats and amphetamine use and how the same thing was noticed in the experiments. They became hyper-sensitive to the drugs after stopping their dosage. There were also studies where this happened with an SSRIs. I have been prescribed and taken both amphetamines and SSRIs before and I believe that I know when this may have happened. I was taking a few different medications for ADHD, which I now realize I shouldn't have been because I didn't have it. Then after I finally stop those I was on an SSRI for my depression which helped re-regulate the neurotransmitters after getting depression from being on these stimulants that I wasn't supposed to be on.

Later I started taking an allergy medication (Claratin-D) for my allergies. Later I found out that this was a Pseudo ephedrine/loratadine combination. I was young and didn't know what this drug Pseudo ephedrine which is closely related to amphetamine and Loratadine which is close to an tricyclic antidepressant. I was taking that for about a month in combination with the SSRI I was on and I believe that the closeness to an amphetamine made my nervous system think it was Adderall or one of the two other amphetamines I took at seperate times. I believe it may have to do with the damage of these neurons and the signals these drugs send to them when in my synapses influencing the flow of neurotransmitters to the point where my brain is swelling (or so it feels) because of my brain hyper-reacting to these drugs and giving me heightened side effects from small amounts.

I have seen a few general practitioners about this and they all seem to misunderstand and not think this is the case, thinking my headaches might be from another source such as being bi-polar. Then they've prescribed me medications that always have just made me feel terrible like any drug would. I haven't seen a neurologist and I am thinking about getting and fMRI done to see if that sees anything. I've been able to put up with this and deal with these headaches but it has always been a heavy burden and very hard to live normally. So now I'm wondering if it would be worth seeing a Neurologist or even a different type of physician and to get an fMRI done. I have heard other possible explanations but with the experiences with these drugs and having direct results after they go in my body I am very certain of my hypothesis that it is these drugs causing these extreme pressure headaches. I just was looking to the internet again to see if anyone has any advice or experience with anything close to this. Maybe there's absolutely no treatment for the headaches or the condition itself and if I hear that from someone informed then I won't waste my time or money on seeing a neurologist.

Thank you for any help you can offer, I'm sorry if this is too confusing to read.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. If a headache is related to a drug or to its withdrawal, then the headache will disappear on stopping the drug or when the withdrawal symptoms subside. It will not persist. If you have a persisting headache, it could be due to ADHD or any other condition you are having.
It could also be migraine, compression of spinal nerves in the neck, dental pain, TMJ, temporal arteritis, high blood pressure, refractive error of the eye etc. Please consult your PCP regarding all these possibilities. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.