Neurology Community
Pressure in back of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pressure in back of head

Fist time coming here.....

Not sure how to explain this.  I feel pressure for almost the past week in the back of my head.  Not headaches or anything, although at times as it gets later at night I do get a headache. It almost feel as if the muscles in the back of my head are contracting while every once and a while I feel the muscles go through a slight spasm, most of the times on the right side.  This isn't causing any type of pain, just an annoyance to be honest.

I don't know if this would relate to it or not but for years my neck cracks very easily, much like you crack your knuckles.  I know, this isn't the most healthy thing for my joints but don't know if this could be something related to arthritis or something similar.
I have the same problem sometimes....i hope someone here can answer your question!
Hi, Thank you for your question. Generally, shoulder and arm numbness originates from the neck problems due to irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because the nerves that supply the back of the head start in the upper cervical spine. Mostly, these symptoms aggravate after turning head and typically occur in patients with previous neck injuries and in patients with marked arthritis of the upper cervical spine. In addition, this pain exacerbate with prolonged sitting in a stooped posture and when working on a computers for long hours.  If you suffer continuous numbness, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!

Thank you Dr. Srivastave for your response!

However I don't have pain and this doesn't have anything to do with my shoulders or arms.  Its just in the back of my head, feels as if it's where the spine meets the skull.

Should I not have posted this in the neurologist area?
I have the same pressure. It is almost where my head touches the ground/pillow when I lay down. It is worrisome. The only other thing that I have noticed since it started is that I get really cold at night. The coldness begins near bedtime and lasts until I fall asleep.