Neurology Expert Forum
Pressure in back of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pressure in back of head

My mother (age 74) has been experiencing pressure in the back of her head and neck pain for several weeks. She also cannot lift her left arm--it "feels like dead weight." MRI of cervical spine did not show anything abnormal. She has lost her appetite and is sleeping very poorly. Physical therapy is helping a little, but cause of pressure and pain is unknown.
With the above information it would be important to investigate whether a stroke has occurred - I don't know if this has been evaluated. The most serious causes for headache and limb paralysis would be a stroke, hemorrhage or mass. An MRI and MR angiogram of the brain, neck and their blood vessels could evalaute this

Another cause of the arm paralysis which should be evaluated if the above is negative is a problem with the brachial plexus - the network of nerves in the armpit that connects the spinal cord nerves to the arm - with headache and poor appetite, a tumor or cancer like process should also be evaluated

I just went to the doctor today regarding a spacey feeling in my head as well as a dull ache in the lower back of my head that I've been trying to tackle for 10 years.  I've had my ears checked 2-3 times, my eyes checked and have been to a chiropractor to see if it was neck pressure.  All of those tests came out negative.  I'm in the process of having an MRI taken of my brain as well as blood tests.  My doctor thinks it could be Atypical Migraines. I'm healthy and active, but just don't feel 100%.  It's kind of scary.  Some days it's worse than others.  My ears feel like they are affected which then affects my equilibrium and sometimes my memory.  Have had fainting feelings and tingling in my left hand.  That all started one day when I woke up from a nap in the early evening afely my feet were really hot and tingling.  A little later felt like I was going to faint so I drove myseldf to the emergency room only to find out I was dehydrated.  I'll let you know what I find out.
I have had the same problem with my head. Woke up 1 1/2 years ago sweating and spinning like a top. I've been told its allergies and vertigo. I saw neurologist this morning and he perscribed Lexapro to tackle Serotonin defficiency.
I had this and I went for a sleep study.  My oxygen levels were dropping really low while  I slept.  A few months on a CPAP machine and it went away.