Neurology Community
Problem in E.R. - Need Opinions Please

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Problem in E.R. - Need Opinions Please

I posted this in some other forums, but haven't had many responses yet, so I thought I'd post here

Last week I went to the ER after throwing up for several hours. When I got there, the nurse tried to get blood out of the vein closest to my right wrist. When she wasn't able to get blood there, she kept fishing around in that vein. After that, she tried to get blood higher up my on my right arm, and was unsuccessful there too. Another nurse finally ended up getting blood out of my left arm.

2 days after I got home, I was brushing my hair and felt a sensation like a rubberband snapping in the middle of my forearm on my right arm. This continued whenever I did anything, even lay my arm off the bed. I would also describe it as almost an electric shock. I jusy don't understand why I am feeling it in my forearm when the problem was at my wrist?

I called the hospital and they suggested that I go back to the ER. The ER then said said that they thought the nurse hit a nerve when she tried to get blood from the vein near my wrist. They did an ultrasound of my upper arm (not where the pain was), which showed good blood flow. They gave me an antibiotic, which I can't take, because I am allergic to Penicillin (I told them that at the ER, and the Physicians Assistant still gave me something with Penicillin).

My arm feels a bit better (although not much), but the right side of my neck has been hurting badly and the back and top of my head has been sore.

Does anyone know what could be causing it?

Any help is appreciated.
About 15 or so years ago I had a similar thing happen to me after having blood drawn.  I didn't have a rubberband-snapping/shocky feeling but instead had tingling in the inner/medial part of my left arm running from above my wrist to my thumb.  The tech was awful and was digging around in there like she was digging for gold.  She was really hurting me but I said nothing.  Now if they even start to move the needle around once they are in there I tell them they are hurting me so that they will take it out.  They probably did hit a nerve with you, too.  I never even called the lab and told them what happened to me but luckily my tingling only lasted about three weeks and resolved.  Hopefully your arm paresthesia will disappear too.  Why your neck and head hurt I don't know, but if you continue to have problems (I would keep track of it/document it-write down what your symptoms are/when, etc., just in case it does not resolve.  It probably was a superficial nerve they hit like mine was, but my aunt had blood drawn and now she has RSD/reflex sympathetic dystrophy in that arm-permanent nerve damage.
went to E.R 2 wks ago and they put IV in my wrist and hit nerve (so my Dr said Have been in therphry going on 2 wks can not use my right hand at all  this is 2010 goodness sakes what is going on.
                                                                        thank you