Neurology Community
Problems with titanium plate after craniotomy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My mom is 75 years old.  On August 17th she had a craniotomy on both side of her head after a fall and brain bleed.  Now 4 months later she has a dent in her head.  I called the neurosurgeon and was told that it sounds like the titanium plate has moved and that she will need surgery to replace the tatanium plate.  How unusal is this.  I have tried to look for information on line but cant find any thing.  She has been though so much I just cant believe she is facing another surgery.
Hi there!

Though not particularly common, replacement/ repositioning of the titanium plate would not be as major a procedure as the primary surgery and is expected to have a smooth recovery. I would suggest discussing the situation and the management plan in detail with the treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!