Neurology Expert Forum
Procarin

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Procarin

What are your thoughts on the use of procarin? I began a home remedy two days ago (four treatments) and feel stronger today though during the night my arm and hand shook and this is a new symptom.
The prokarin histamine patch for multiple sclerosis is quite controversial in today's world of evidence based medicine. "Evidence-based" meaning a randomized, clinical control trial which has become the standard in which we base our treatments for diseases of the human body. This kind of research trial is rigourously structured (not just testimonials or a group of people saying something worked) and theoretically set up so that we know if a patient truly benefits from a drug and is safe from any serious side effects.  I do not know of any such trial in the medical literature conducted for the histamine patch. And I can also tell you that I have never personally recommended this medication to my patients with MS nor is it a common practice among my colleagues here at the clinic to recommend it over the classic ABC meds that are approved for MS.  

Having said that, I have read of people who swear by this medication and say it's the only thing that helps them.  You will have to use your own judgement as well as your physician's (who should be following you) in continuing use of this drug.  The side effects I've read are low blood sugar and it should not be used in patients with asthma. Good luck.
Dr.,

I came across your web site this evening and read the question from "billy" who had just started on Procarin.

I agree 100% on your response for the absolute need to do approved clinical trials on any new medication. There is no other way to scientifically know if a medicine works.

What you may not be aware of is that there was indeed a double blind clinical trial done on Procarin on I believe 25 patients.
This was completed in October 2000 at the University of Washington. The people in the Procarin group have been in the process of getting this trial published for the past year and as I am sure you are aware, this feat takes time. Supposedly it is to be published this month but I have not heard anything as yet.

Apparently, from what I heard from the rumour mill, the results were better than expected and surpassed earlier anecdotal reports.  

While certainly not a cure (the people who produce the compound have always emphatically stated this) Procarin can reduce and in many cases, eliminate some of the nasty symptoms of MS, especially fatigue!  Any relief from the miserable life that MS gives its victims is certainly welcome. It's too bad that this group dosen't have the financial resources to largely expand their research....perhaps more could be learned more quickly.

Harry
I have been researching the use of Prokarin for MS.  Does it help balance as well as fatigue?
A related discussion, Procarin patch-anything new known? was started.
A related discussion, procarin was started.