Neurology Expert Forum
Profuse Sweating on one side only

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Profuse Sweating on one side only

I have been seeing my Dr. because in the past two years I have started sweating, on only my left side, and I turn red on only the left side, it looks like I have been divided right down the center on my face, the left turns red and I sweat profusly, the right side stays normal and I do not sweat at all, My Dr. ran blood work and found I have hypothyroidism, so put me on synthroid, and refered me to a Dr. who is a  Plumary/Critical care/sleep disorder/Hyperbaric Medicine. I have seen him and he said that it is probably due to  Autonomic Ganglion renopathy (neuopathy)(I cant read his writing.) and it is not serious, to just stop doing what ever makes me hot,( I live in SO.Texas) need I say more?) any way, He said it is only agavating and that is all. It really bothers me, I am completely fatigued when I get hot, and the redness and sweating will last up to 45 minutes when I can get back into air conditioning, I try to stay in side, but I cant live inside the rest of my life, Is the DR. correct? should I just learn to live with the redness, it is so obivious that people comment about it, It is embarrassing! Please advise me.
_________________
_________________
Dear Linda,
There exists a condition called essential hyperhidrosis in which a patient
may experience profuse sweating of typically the hands.  This may involve
the face, feet or an entire half of the body.  The cause is not known,
but there is some hyperactivity of the sympathetic nervous system to
various triggers.  Some find it quite embarassing socially.  Medical
therapies have been tried, but often with frustrating results.  Some
patients are candidates for a thoracic sympathetectomy, a procedure to
disconnect the sympathetic nervous system from acting on that side of
the body.  There are, however, some minor side-effects of the procedure.
Speak to a neurologist or neurosurgeon to see whether this is indeed
what you have.  If so, surgery may be a viable option.
Good luck.

A related discussion, can i be helped was started.
A related discussion, more about sweating from oneside of body and turning red on one side was started.