Neurology Expert Forum
Prognosis
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Prognosis

My granddaughter is 19 mos.old.  She has been diagnosed with Megalencephaly and Cortical Dysplasia.  She also has seizures.
She has been on phenobarbitol and dilantin, however, they changed her recently to topomax (topamax) and phenobarbitol since her seizures had not stopped.  She is unable to hold her head up or sit up and refuses to put weight on her feet or legs.  
All of her genetic testing came back normal and her doctors at Nemours in Jacksonville, Fla., have told us they can't explain why this has happened.   She was 5 weeks early, and was breech.
My daughter was 8 cm when she got to the hospital and her physician tried to let her deliver breech but ended up doing a c-section.  The baby did not start breathing on her own and was given oxygen and remained under oxygen for 24 hours.  Her pediatrician said she never reached a critical level.  During the
delivery, my son-n-law said it took the ob doctor 3 tries to remove my granddaughter as her head was lodged due to it's size.
No one can seem to tell us what the chances are of this happening again if my daughter wants to have another child.  Her husband is scared to try again.  This couple is wonderful with this little girl and she has a beautiful personality.  Can you tell me what you think could have caused this or the chances of it happening again?  Also can you tell me who to contact about a bed with railings all around since she is getting too large for a crib?
Thank You
Teri