Neurology Community
Protruding bone in neck?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Protruding bone in neck?

My daughter (15) noticed this weird lump in her neck a while ago.
She has terrible posture so I assumed that's why.
The lump is hard and it feels like a bone rather than a normal lump.
She tried sitting up straight with correct posture but it didn't smooth out at all, but when she slouches more it disappears?
Is it really her bone protruding through her back?
It's right at the top of her spine...she says there's no pain, her neck just feels tired every now and again.
Hi there.

There are several anatomic protrusions or 'prominences' along the skull and along the entire length of the spine, and I believe that what she's feeling is one of these prominences.

The first prominence is where the spine meets the skull, and this is called the occipital prominence.  At the area at the shoulder level, there is another prominence with coincides with the C7 vertebra.  Below the hips, you can feel for the sacral spine prominences and the coccyx at the tip.

I believe it is one of these, but I would suggest you have this seen by her doctors if you think it is otherwise.

Regards.