Neurology Expert Forum
Pseudobulbar palsy and weight loss
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pseudobulbar palsy and weight loss

My mentally retarded son was diagnosed with pseudobulbar palsy and congenital aphasia when he was about 5 years old.Mayo Clinic confirmed his diagnosis along with Dr.Millichap of world recognition. He is almost 34 years old and lives in a group home and comes home every other weekend.My question is the weight loss he is having now since about 11/2000.He is in good general health.He is 6'1" tall and always weighed about 151 lbs.Now he is down to 131lbs.He takes 330mg daily for seizure control and low dosage of Zestril for B.P. control.His TSH was 1.25 along with normal ranges for routine blood work.He is being checked this morning for protein electrophoresis. I don't know why.Can you tell me what other tests should be done to determine why the weight loss.He has an internist now.Should I take him to a Neurologist first or to an Endocrinologist.Could IBS or malabsorbtion syndrome be a possibility.Mayo's said no 25 years ago because he had loose bm's until age 9.Thank You so Much.--Theodore--I'm also Co-Legal Guardian