Neurology Community
Pseudotumor Cerebri Diamox/ Sulfa Allergy Concern

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have been recently diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri.  I was diagnosed after my MRI came back normal, and my Lumbar puncture showed an opening pressure of 30.  I was informed that I have swelling of my right optic nerve and do get headaches occasionally.  I am 5-7" and weigh between 125 to 130 pounds.  My opthalmologist prescribed Diamox ER 500mg twice daily for treatment.  I was informed by my pharmacist when going to fill my prescription yesterday that because of my Sulfa Drug Allergy that there is a possibility that I may experience a reaction to the Diamox prescribed.  The pharmacist had stated that Diamox is a level 2 derivative of Sulfa and that the chance of an allergic reaction is there but small.  My big concern is that I was diagnosed with a Sulfa allergy as a child when a Sulfa Based Opthalmic Ointment was used to treat an eye infection and I broke out in hives after using the drug.  My daughter used Sulfa Antibiotics to treat a UTI and over the course of a week her face swelled up.  The pharmacist had mentioned taking the medication and trying benadryl and if I have a reaction to seek medical treatment immediately.  He told me that Diamox is pretty much one of a kind in treating my condition.  I am wondering what the true probability is of an allergic reaction to this medication and if trying the medication would in fact be contraindicated.  Any advice or comments would be appreciated.  Thanks.
If, while having the allergy, it's possible you won't have a reaction, then this only increases the odds. I've been told by a doctor that some allergies and allergic reactions that occur as a child can disappear in adulthood, or at least be very mild.

I'd say that if your Pseudotumor Cerebri is putting you in a dire state, it's worth it just to try it once...and if you're okay at first, to continue with some careful monitoring of how your body reacts to the medicine. Also, please know that the medicine itself has side effects that might make it seem like your body is having a severe reaction. For me, getting adjusted to it when I'm taken on and off of the Diamox gives me a pins and needles sensation on my face and extremities. Sometimes, it feels horrible and I get really worried, but usually it's just low potassium and eating a couple bananas helps.

Best of luck!
What I meant...by 'then this only increases the odds'...are the odds in which I think you should give it a shot. :) Hopefully you already have, as it is now September and I see you posted this long ago!

How's the disease going, anyway? Mine is making a comeback. It waited a year and a half to act up...it waited until I was enrolled in college, with a loan, taking 25 credit hours. Good times, but we'll get through this!!!

Always,
goober11
I have a pseudotumor cerebri and have since 2001. I am also allergic to sulfa drugs. I also am allergic to pennecillan drugs and mycin drugs and never have had a problem with taking the Diamox 500mg two times daily. Hope this helps you.
  I was diagnosed 7 years ago and am also cannot take sulfa. I have been taking Diamox for the seven years @ 250 mgs. Sometimes I have to take the 500 mgs. depending on the PTC headache. Never have I had I had a problem. The only problem I have had is with Celebrex. That med has sulfa in it and it caused me to have chest pain. My mother had to rush me to the hospital. We thought that I was having a heart attack. I am also in Topamax for the PTC and migraines. And have a vp shunt and to have a lp shunt. Sometimes the medication is your best option. Good luck. Let all of us know how it goes we are all in the same boat. Bless You.