Neurology Expert Forum
Psychosomatic tingling of nerves in soles of feet

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

When I think about pain in any sentient being, discomfort "forms" in the soles of my feet immediately. The discomfort makes walking mildly painful, and lasts for only a few seconds. I don't have to see gore to have this reaction. I have only to think about pain. This condition began within the last two years. I'm a 77 year old Caucasian male.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Pain can present itself as different feelings depending on the location and cause. One type of pain called neuropathic pain has descriptions that include burning, gnawing, aching, and shooting or lancinating qualities. This type of pain is caused by injury to a nerve. The smaller nerve fiber s when injured will typically have symptoms including burning or buzzing or other vague symptoms starting in the feet and hands then in some cases spreading to other parts of the body. It can be more difficult to diagnose given that EMG/nerve conduction studies (NCS) (tests done to check for neuropathy) will not show an abnormality, and a definitive diagnosis can only be made with a skin biopsy so that the number of nerve endings can literally be counted. There are other tests of the function of small nerves that can be ordered, such as QSART testing which looks at how much sweat the skin makes, since sweating is in a sense of function of these small nerves.

There are several causes of small fiber neuropathy, including diabetes, vitamin deficiencies, and autoimmune problems.

I would suggest that you follow up with your primary care physician have basic labs checked including a screening for diabetes, B12 deficiency, and thyroid deficiency.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck!