Neurology Community
Puncture Wound w/Nerve Damage

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Puncture Wound w/Nerve Damage

HI.  
Last Thrusday I accidentally punctured my hand with a steak knife in the palm at the base of my index finger.  It went in pretty deep and I needed 8 stitches.  I have no feeling in my 3 fingers still (it's been 5 days) and was told I've damaged the nerves in my hand.  The pain is unbearable and I cannot use the hand at all.  
I'm wondering how long it takes for the nerves to regenerate and how long I can expect to have this horrible pain.
If anyone else has experienced anything like this, input would be greatly appreciated.  I have a 5 month old daughter that I can't care for because of this.  I do plan on going back to the dr. tomorrow.
Thanks in advance!!
Hi, Ooooch! for your wound.  The finger and hand are still well within the timeframe for pain and numbness from the cut itself.  The nerve and surrounding tissue were injured and will take some time to heal.  Five days is simply not long enough.  Look toward a couple weeks for the overall pain to subside and longer for the numbness.  If the nerve was just damaged, but the pathway of the nerves was not damaged, the nerve will most likely heal with some or all sensation returning in 3 months or so.  If the nerve was completely severed (such that the part of the nerve beyond the injury dies )then it can heal and regenerate itself at the rate of approximately 1mm per day after the wound heals.

Basically, yes, peripheral nerves (those outside the brain and spine) can and do heal and regenerate, but it takes time. With any injury there are no guarantees.  Parts of the finger might stay numb.  Try to see if there is some kind of spint you can wear (from the wrist up to the finger) to support the wound and allow you some function as you care for your daughter. Information about these can be obtained from the local ER, from an Physical or Occupational Therapist or from your Dr. A splint would help reduce the pain as you move and use your hand. Ask your Dr. if physical therapy would be useful. Good luck, Quix
Thanks.  I'm not sure if you'll read this because it was so long ago that it was posted but thank you.
I'm not a paranoid person at all so I know it will take time, I just hate waiting, LOL.  I have it bandaged up because when I hit it in certain spots the pain is unbearable so I figured I would be best off if I kept that area bandaged.
It's been 8 days and the pain has subsided some but I haven't regained any feeling yet.  An aunt of mine still has periods of numbness and her injury happened over 2 years ago.
Sigh, I was being retarded when I opened that bottle of formula with a steak knife and the fact that my daughter grows at the rate of a pound a week isn't helping matters nay!
Thanks again!