Neurology Community
Pupils dilating and constricting rapidly

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi! I'm a 20 year old female and for a few years now I notice that my pupils dilate and constrict rapidly over and over again for no reason. It usually happens at night when I'm lying in my bed looking at the ceiling and trying to fall asleep, and it stops if there is a change in the light. But it has happened in the day - which is the first time i noticed it. I was putting on makeup in a mirror and thats when i saw it.

It usually starts out with my vision becoming pixellated and then everyone grows lighter before the peripheries of my vision start to get darker until a circle of darkness 'swoops' inwards like an iris closing until only a little circle of light in the middle of my vision is left, and then it 'swoops' out again and everything is light, and then back in again over and over for about 30seconds to a minute.
Sometimes my pupils do it at the same time, other times i notice that one will start to grow darker and then my other eye start to grow darker, and sometimes it isnt so much like an iris closing over my eye as it is a shutter being pulled up or down, like the darkness sort of grows from the bottom upawards or the top downwards, and sometimes it will start out doing it at the same time and then start doing it out of sync.

Oh, and it also happens when my eyes are shut. Obviously I can't actually see my pupils do it when my eyes are shut, but the same sensation occurs of everything growing lighter and darker, even though my eyes aren't even open.

But its all really really weird and I only just have started to research it on the internet for what it could mean because before it would only happen like once a week max, but for the last few days its happened about two or three times a day during the day and night, and i got a bit freaked out when on one forum i looked at it was suggested it could besome type of stroke?!? I dont do drugs or anything and theres no obvious reason why this should be happening...

I'm going to try and video tape it happening and then upload it to youtube or something so someone can help me...if i can ill post here when i do that

thanks for any advice!