Neurology Expert Forum
Question about bizarre sensations

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Question about bizarre sensations

I am a 26 year old male.  No major medical conditions, although diet is poor and for last few years sugar has been either at high end of normal or above that (though never extreme).  MRI with/without contrast was done in July 2011, which was read as "normal" by a radiologist.  However, on T2 non-contrast images (which I viewed myself), there were small very bright areas on a few of the images (which I read were hyperintensities?), mostly in the back of the brain.

For the past few months I have been experiencing maddening electrical sensations all over my body.  The feeling can best be described as the feeling in your stomach when you are nervous or riding a rollercoaster, but instead of being there it is felt elsewhere in the body.  It comes in short "pulses," each lasting a couple seconds, then goes away.  But it continues all day.  I don't know if this is neurological, metabolic, or vascular, but it is very bad.

Prior to the commencement of the very worst of these symptoms a few months ago, there were milder symptoms, such as dizziness and lightheadedness that had been going on for about a year.  In March of 2011, I had a pretty bad concussion sustained while skiing.  That is really the one event I can think of that started a period of very bizarre neuroligical sensations, mostly starting in the head, and then progressing over time to different parts of the body (although the neuropathic symptoms I describe are also in the head at times).  Occassionally I can feel electrical tracts from my head then moving down do different parts of the body with the bizarre sensation.

SSRI medications prescribed to me maybe helped a bit at first, but that soon wore off.  In the end, all they really did is make me not care about the symptoms.  Also, at points in the past I have been treated with amphetamine salts for ADD, and I read those damage the brain.  Not sure if that is germane.

Any advice on this and things I should bring up with my doctor would be helpful.

1 Comment
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I cannot tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

You may be describing neuropathic pain which can be caused by nerve damage.  Damage to the nerves or neuropathies can occur for many different reasons including diabetes, vitamin deficiencies, autoimmune disorders such as lupus or Sjogren’s, neoplasm, certain medications, or toxins. There are other conditions that lead to neuropathies such as genetic, metabolic, and hereditary disorders. If you have muscle weakness too, an EMG/NCS (electromyography/nerve conduction studies) may be helpful in finding a diagnosis. There are medications that can help treat neuropathic pain including gabapentin and pregabalin.

If your symptoms are on one side of the body/limb, conditions such as stroke or multiple sclerosis would also be considered in the differential. An evaluation for these conditions may include MRI of the brain or spinal cord.

If symptoms migrate (move from one place to the other) and are intermittent, causes might include seizures, migraine disorder or metabolic problems such as low calcium.

Sometimes symptoms of whole body tingling may reflect emotional/psychiatric problems related to stress (what is called somatization disorder). Fibromyalgia is another medical condition that leads to whole body pains.

These are just some potential causes of the symptoms that you are describing. Continued follow-up with your doctors is recommended. Evaluation by a neurologist, if you have not already done so, is recommended.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.