Neurology Expert Forum
Question on MRI Results

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Question on MRI Results

Recently I had abnormal results on an MRI without contrast which included nonspecific white matter changes in the left pre-central gryrus.  Other symptoms include occasional confusion, difficulty with auditory short-term memory, visual short-term memory, and at times word retrieval.   I also have difficulty at times understanding spoken words when background noise is present and solving simple addition and subtraction problems. I also always forget everything when I leave my home (i.e. purse, car keys)  On a recent IQ test, I was told my IQ has dropped significantly.  Further neuropsych tests have been scheduled latter this month.  I have a history of arthritis, hypertension, hypothyroidism, absence seizures, and jerking of my right arm or right leg without lose of conscience, positive ANA, and a long history of migraines  My last EEG was normal.  Current medications include topamax 100mg in the am and 150mg in the pm and Effexor XR  150  for migraines, armour thyroid, celebrex 200 bid, vasoretic, and plendel. I am a 40 year old female.

My questions are thus:
What does non-specific white matter changes in the left pre-central gyrus mean?-my doc wasn
I am not sure if the reports means that the abnormality was in the grey matter (out surface of brain) or the inderlying white matter. Without personally reviewing the MRI I can not be specific. However, non-specific changes can occur in conditions such as migraine and Lupus could also cause similar changes.

Regarding the change in your cognitive performance, Topamax has been associated with cognitive changes. Specifically patients have complained of word finding difficulties, and occasional memory retrieval issues. This could be seen at the dose you are taking. Therefore, if these issues started after the Topamax was started or when the dose was increased, this is something to consider. Perhaps a second opinion with a neurologist at an academic center would be reasonable. Perhaps a unifying diagnosis can be established to account for all of your neurologic symptoms. Good luck.
This sounds similar to the results I received.  I was told that there were changes in the white matter of my frontal lobes, which was said not to be a tumor or MS.  Not told what it could be only told there was a long list of things it could be.  I also suffer from a seizure-like condition called paroxysmal Kinesigenic Dyskinesia. Basically if I get up to walk across the room sometimes my legs and arms start jerking and bouncing uncontrollably without loss of consciousness(this doesn't usually last for more than 1/2 a minute).  Over the past 3 years, maybe, I too have noticed a decrease in my ability to remember things.  Even things like how to spell simple words I've known all my life or forgetting what I'm attempting to do such as what I came into a room for - I'm having trouble with.  I'm starting to wonder if I have early-onset Altziemers (I'm only 33)I am not on any medications and do not suffer from any of the other conditions that you mentioned (that I know of) -although I do get a lot of tension head aches in the back of my neck and head.  I don't have any information for you just thought you'd like to know there's someone out there that is equally confused and seeking answers.  Anyone with possible information please respond.

I had an MRI done, and my symptoms are dizziness, left sided neck pain that radiates to my scalp on my head.  The MRI showed 9mm pineal cyst, and 2 patchy white matter lesions in the white matter on the left side. I have NO clue what this is.  I, of course, am worrying about a tumor.  I have been told it is not a tumor or a stroke.  They did do a lumbar puncture, and I am still waiting on the results (I think they are making sure I don't have MS).. ANY comments would be greatly appreciated.

Jackie