Neurology Expert Forum
Questioning Daughter's Diagnoses

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Questioning Daughter's Diagnoses

My daughter was diagnosed with epilepsy 1 month ago. She was started on Keppra but would still have break though absence seizures. Last week she got a strep infection in a cut and was hospitalized with IV antibiotics, she is now home and continuing on antibiotics. Since she has started the antibiotics ahe has had NO breakthrough seizures of seizure symptoms. What should I do? Do you think she may have something else and not epilepsy?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Typically stressors, such as infection, will cause patients with epilepsy to have a breakthrough seizure. It is impossible for me to say whether your daughter has epilepsy or not. I would recommend that you discuss your concern with your child’s pediatric neurologist.  

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.