Neurology Community
Quick, bright flashes of light

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Quick, bright flashes of light

ALmost like a camera went off but its just a tiny, quick flash that looks almost bluish. Hard to describe, but its so quick.

What could be causing this? Along wit hthe nerve pain in my left foot I am beginning to really be worried that I have MS.

Jean
My theory is random activity in the optical nerve, interpreted as a source of light by the visual cortex.

However there are things you  have to watch out for, the shower of sparks, or seeing stars phenomenon can be a sign of a retina about to detach or it can be a sign that the brain is not getting enough oxygen, for instance when you rise suddenly, or interupt the blood supply to the brain.

Some people however just see lights and other visual phenomena, sometimes as a result of migraine, other times without any explanation whatever.
Thank you. Its not really like seeing starts or a shower or lights, so I think I am Ok in that sense. I do get migrains, so maybe its from that.
I had a bright flash of light a few months ago. I was overheated & sweating. It all went black & I hit the floor hard butt 1st. Since then I have had all sorts of back trouble. The meds prescribed ( also have fibromyalgia) all have bad side effects, Lyrica, Cymbalta & the last one Savella. I went to the hospital. They thought I was having a heart attack. Profuse sweating, nausea, tremors, blood pressure high, dry mouth, heart rate 110. They finally decided the Savella caused it but I was told I needed to have my heart checked.

I saw a physical therapist recently. He asked when my back pain started & I told him about the bright white light & fainting. He said that sounded like a cardiac episode. I have an appointment  Oct 28th. New patient takes awhile. He also said my nerves were firing off very rapidly. ANY stress & I start shaking, nausea, (Savella stopped) chest pain, hard to breathe, racing heart, dizziness & a loss of reality (dreamlike). Very weak. I am concerned & scared I may die before I see a doctor. Any ideas. ER no help. I did that & they said they do no diagnostics at all. I have only a neurologist ( she ordered a cervical MRI but insurance denied it. I have since dropped the insurance & went back to regular medicare though it won't take effect until Nov 1st) and a back doctor. He had trouble with the premium Medicare as well. The doctors all tell me it will make life easier for them & me being back on regular Medicare. No hoops to jump through. Thanks Cheryl
Your symptoms seem to match a panic attack. Anxiety disorders are closely related to fibromyalgia. Try to see if your symptoms improve when you are feeling relaxed. Also, consider that when doing aerobic exercises, your heart beats much faster than 110. Also, a healthy heart can tolerate a really fast pulse (>170) for hours. So try to keep calm when these symptoms appear and hopefully they will go away on their own.
when i was walking with my cousin, i saw a bright flash of light. it almost looked like lightning accept that it was close to the ground (street).the light went from one side of the street to another but in at least 10 seconds. it was so fast it is too hard too explain. it almost looked like a giant camera flash rushing across the street. as soon as i saw it i started to get scared. my cousin did not see it and she started to think that i was crazy. the light filled up most of the street but i didn't know where it went from there. it almost seemed like the light was so fast that it was vapor. my cousin and i replayed what we were doing to see if i would see it again. sure enough i did and i started to wonder.
A few years ago I had this flash....I had been having lots of Anxiety & panic attacks...was at a graduation ceremony...which I could not drive to because of a high level of a panic attack. During the cerermony panic had built up my chest was very tight was clenching on to the chair arms and then the large flash. Was very scared but said nothing to my family around me. After this happened some of my panic subsided. but have spent years wondering what happened at that moment. Since some of my anxiety & panic subsided from this later I never sought help. It's why I am looking back into it now always wondered what it was that was going on with this. I believed it was an anxiety disorder that got worse as time went on...but the flash only happened that one time.
i have the same problem hun