Quick lightning bolt spasms in the head?
Hey everybody, every once in a while, I get these random spasms in my head on the right side mainly. The best way to describe them is that they feel like a lightning bolt zapping through my head. It's very quick, maybe 10-20 seconds but it hurts a lot.

They happen very randomly, not like every day, I can't guarantee when it'll happen but it hurts when it does and all I can do is put my fingers to my head and close my eyes and wait til it's over.

I'm a 16 year old girl. I've looked up as much as I could about these "lightning spasms", but most of what I found say it's an effect of some sorts of medication or going off it, but I don't use any medication so I don't know how I get them.

They're not in the way of daily life, it's just annoying and it's hard when I get them in school because I can't focus while they're happening. They aren't that bad but it's just weird. It doesn't happen often, but every once in a while. Maybe once a day or once every few days? I can't keep track because they're so quick and gone immediately

Oh also, I just had a guess that it might be because of a fall I took last year on ice. In January 2011, I slipped on ice and my face hit the ice covered concrete. I had a really deep gash right above my right eyebrow and went to the hospital where they declared it a laceration and I got 11 stitches. After that, I'd get bad headaches. Also a few months later I actually ended up getting glasses so I'm pretty sure that all relates to each other. I guess I got nerve damage from hitting my head. Nobody said that my getting glasses and headaches randomly would have been the effects of the fall but now that I think about it, that's probably it.

Can anybody help me out here? Any advice? Thanks!
Over the years I have had the same  symptoms.  I have had trygeminal neuralgia in the past.  I know what you mean about the sudden pain.  It makes me cringe.  Ice pack has helped.  I have always assumed a stressed muscle or nerve acting up.  Massaging and ice pack helps.  Hope this serves you!  

Mark R.  Lancaster,OH
The exact same thing happens to me except only when I'm falling asleep sometimes.  It feels like lightning bolts in your head and it hurts and keeps me from falling asleep.  It doesnt happen often... maybe once every few months or so and only when falling sleep.  My symptoms include voices that sound like little creeps whispering about.  And there is always one voice that is louder than the others and his voice gets increasing louder which each subsequent bolt.  All of the underlying voices get louder and louder with the main voice and then scream when the bolt hits... then they die back down.  When this first started happening to me the voices were accompanied by that overwhelming sleep paralysis type fear of a presence but without the paralysis.  The voices are very clearly malevolent and the feeling, vibes and energy coming from them is nothing that can described as anything less than pure evil.  This goes on back and forth for about 20 minutes before it stops and I can finally fall sleep.  The voices dont happen so much anymore... the same fear that I got from those voices isnt there. So they're quieter now when this happens to me.  I still hear the voices, but theyre not as loud and that sleep paralysis type fear isnt there so much anymore.  Never knew there were other people that this happened to.  Sorry that happens when youre wide awake.  Hope it gets better.