Neurology Community
RARE: Thoracic & Lumbar Herniation

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

RARE: Thoracic & Lumbar Herniation

Hello!  I have been diagnosed with two herniated dics, one at T10/T11 and another at L5/S1.

T10/T11 info from MRI report:  "Focalized right lateral disc protrusion T10-T11, narrows the right lateral aspect of the canal juxtaposed to the distal thoracic cord, and narrowing the origin of the right T10-T11 exit foramen adjacent to the transversing nerve root."

L5/S1 info from MRI report:    "Disc disease with disc bulging and left paracentral protrusion L5/S1 disc."

MY QUESTION ABOUT THIS:  

Although I have many symptoms, I need to find out if RIGHT HIP PAIN (burning/aching) can be due to pressure on the nerve root at the T10/T11 level.  Bilateral hip and pelvis x-ray was normal, but I am in agony with daily hip pain and burning at the T10/T11 level (in addition to other symptoms associated with the L5/S1 on the left).  PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR OPINION ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT HIP PAIN CAN BE FROM NERVE ROOT AT T10/T11.  I have read a large number of research articles that indicate that symptoms from a thoracic herniated disc can mimic symptoms related to the lumbosacral level.  
I am too young to be in this situation and need to figure out the cause of this horrible pain.  This all started after trauma.
THANK YOU!
I don't think that your pain in right hip is due to pressure on the nerve root at T10/T11 level. Infact your concern can be due to L5/S1 disc pathology.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
Thanks for the reply!  Do you think the hip pain is due to the L5/S1 herniation even though the MRI report cites that it is on the left?  I am thinking that since it's also defined as "paracentral," maybe it is also impinging upon the nerve on the right side, causing the RIGHT hip pain.  It would make more sense, since hip pain is definitely associated with disc problems at the lumbar level.
The reason I told is impingement of nerve at L5/S1 level causing the symptoms. Anatomically may be it is left where the pathology is, but functionally it is affecting the right hip also and moreover it is reported as Para central protrusion L5/S1 disc.
Bye.