Neurology Expert Forum
RSD vs MS

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

RSD vs MS

Hi, I am 28 and was diagnosed with RSD in 2003  in the left ankle/leg.  I was followed for about 5 years and had multiple treatements for RSD.  In 2009, I got pregnant and all symptoms of RSD disappeared.  I just had my 2nd child (4 months ago) and the pain in my foot is coming back.  In the meantime, between both children I consulted my family doctor as I had been having problems.  (slurred speech, extreme fatigue, blurred vision, numbness in my arms and legs, memory problems)  All of these symptoms stop when I conceived my 2nd child but seems to all be coming back. (I know most RDS and MS symptoms can be relieved while pregnant)
My family doctor said it was probably just symptoms from the RSD or side effects from the meds I had taken for the RSD. My family has a really high rate of MS in the females.  Could this be symptoms of MS? Are RSD and MS related? Should I consult another doctor?
Thank you for your help!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an inflammatory demyelinating disease that affects the central nervous system. To make the diagnosis there are specific criteria, in which objective neurologic findings are present affecting 2 or more locations in the nervous system in 2 or more episodes. In order to make this diagnosis, a detailed history and neurologic examination is required. MRI is very helpful and needed as it helps determining the presence of white matter lesions in 2 or more locations, however there are multiple conditions producing MRI changes that could be mistaken for MS, and the MRI should be reviewed properly and correlated to the symptoms. When the diagnosis is in doubt, LP to study the CSF is helpful, and if there is still some doubt, there are other tests such as evoked potentials that can help.

It is possible that medications can cause the symptoms you describe. What medications were you taking for your RSD? Was there a particular medication your physician felt was responsible? You should continue working with your physician on these symptoms and treatment.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.