Neurology Community
RSD

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

RSD

My daughter, 10 years, has RSD in her left ankle and had a neurostimulator implanted in June 07.  In August of 07 she had a revision.  While out of town she was bumped with a piece carry-on luggage and now has terrible pain in her lower back.  The pain starts near her spine and moves outward in a 6 x 6 inch area.  We're told this is also RSD.  She is currently going through desensitizing techniques, which are very painful.  Is this what she really has, should we be looking at something else, anyone have this problem?
im 16 years old, and i have had RSD for almost 2 years in october. Desesitizing was how i started out and it didnt seem to work for me. I went through hell with the insurance company because they wouldnt pay for me to go to physical therapy, so i had to try exersizes on my own.... i would fill the bath tub up and exersize my ankle.. weather it be moving it side to side or back and forth, when i could finally get to physical therapy they had me in water therapy, i did very well there, i believe if it wasnt for the water, i wouldnt be partially back on my feet today... The best advice i can give to you and your daughter is, dont over due it. and dont give up. I know what your daughter feels like, going to school every day and having friends think shes faking it. its real and that pain is there, when you go to bed, during the night, and when you wake up in the morning. Just don't lose hope. I went from being in a wheel chair to cruches every single day for 2 years. It was so hard for me to go to school...but with a little hope and alot of workin my leg out, i am almost fully recovered. I'm not sure if your daughters doctor had said this, but my doctor warned me if i re injury this leg again, i will most likely end up with RSD again. Be causious, and if your daughter needs someone to talk to i am here.

When did she get this injury?
It is very difficult to tell without a physical examination. But the pain in the lower back could be because of the muscular injury. Is there any swelling or redness?
The diagnosis of RSD can be made only after excluding other causes of pain and hyperalgesia.
Please discuss this with the treating doctor. Take care!