Neurology Expert Forum
Radiation damage
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank

Radiation damage

Posted By Sherry Marcum on September 08, 1998 at 22:59:48:

I am a 29 year old female with a history of cervical cancer that resulted in a radical hysterectomy, radiation to the pelvic area combined with three (1) week treatments of 5-FU and Cistplatin. After all my treatments were finished. I started having bladder problems (spasdic bladder) it was ruled out that I had radiation cystitis of interstitial cystitis. Acouple of months went by and I started having numbness down my right leg. I saw my radiation oncologist and she didn't have a clue. She said we would follow up in a few months. After these few months I was having a hard time walking, so I asked her if we shouldn't look into this more, my concern was of reoccurence of the cancer. She said it was to earily and left it at that, as I was leaving she said she would follow up with my family practioner, but this never happened. Finally I got Debbie my doctor to order a MRI the results were radiation damage to L-4, L-5, S-1' S-2, and S-3. Then I was sent a neurologist he put me on high doses fo steriods and I gained alot of weight as a result and I really didn't see any difference in the way things were going with my legs. He also did a MRI and the results were the same. I have yet to have someone say they really know what is going to happen to me or if there is a chance I may get better. It has been a year since all of this started and I am losing hope. I graduated right after my last chemo treatment from college with my degree in Respiratory therapy and now I am unable to work because of the extreme weakness in my legs. I guess my guestion is have you seen this without cancer involvement and if so what kind of tretment have you suggested to your patient? Thank you for your time.