Neurology Expert Forum
Radio Frequency Neuroablation

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Radio Frequency Neuroablation

I am currently being treated at a Pain Management Clinic for chronic pain due to an eight year old injury. Original diagnois was disk bulge at L5-S1. Bulge is now degenerating and I can no longer tolerate NSAIDS.  Three epidural steroid injections brought no relief. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has been treated by radio frequency neuroablation.  The pain management clinic wants to try this next if I can get approval from worker's compensation. Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Karen!!
Let me first apologize for the extreme delay in answering this question. Radiofrequency neruroablation is a procedure in which radiofrequency energy is applied to a nerve with the intent of destroying smaller, less well insulated nerve fibers, which amongst other things are a principal source of pain transmission, while preserving larger, more well insulated nerve fibers that convey normal sensation and general touch type of feeeling. This procedure typically results in at least some permanent numbness in the distribution of the treated nerve. This procedure has been most widely used for the treatment of a condition called trigeminal neuralgia. I personally have no experience with its use in the treatment of lumbar disk disease, and thus cannot meaningfully advise you on its potential risks and benefits in such a cirumstance. I would advise you to carefully question the treating physician about what specific risks and benefits will be obtained, and whether or not the procedure as s/he performs it results in permanent numbness, which while often not painful, may be annoying or uncomfortable in its own way. I would also caution you to not expect any "miracle" cures, medical or surgical, in the treatment of chronic back pain, which is a difficult to treat problem which can often only be controlled under the best of circumstances. Please remember that the information provided on the forum is intended for general informational purposes only and that the actual diagnosis and treatment of your specific medical condition should be strictly in conjunction with your treating physician(s). We hope you find the information useful, and again apologize for not answering your question more promptly.