Neurology Community
Radiology Report Cervical Spine

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Radiology Report Cervical Spine

I suffered a spinal cord injury in Feb./05.  The MRI indicated severe spinal cord compression between C5-6 and C6-7
I was scheduled for surgery the following day which resulted in the removal of the 2 disc, (between C5-6 and C6-7),
as well as an anterior fusion supporting C5-6 / C6-7.  A week or so after my surgery, my Dr. advised it could take
18 to 24 mos. before we knew just how successful the surgery was.  (Primarily, due to the severity of the spinal cord compression)  
In Aug./06 I had a follow-up MRI, everything from C1 thru T1 looked okay, not great, but okay.  For the most part the operation was deemed successful.  I was still having occasional pain in my upper areas, (arms, shoulders, neck), limited mobility of my left leg, (occasional dragging), and difficulty urinating.  However, I was still miles ahead of
where I was at prior to my surgery. (ie: excruciating pain, partial paralysis, etc.)  
Unfortunately, the pain slowly started to intensify and began to grow more constant.  A subsequent MRI showed
little or no change from the one a year earlier.  In Sept./07 I was diagnoised with Fibromialgia (fibromyalgia) and prescribed the maximum dosage of Lyrica.  The migraines lessened and the constant pain became manageable.  It was GREAT
to be alive again.  
In Feb./08, I stumbled and fell. (the occassional dragging the left leg had finally got me). At the time, my husband
and I got quite a chuckle out of my tumble, but within a day or two, I knew something wasn't right.
Following,  are the results, (Radiology reports), of my latest MRI's.  The first, which was done in Feb/08 reads as follows:
C2-3: There is minimal central  disc bulge
C3-4: There is an annular disc bulge with endplate spur and superimposed small central superior extrusion compressing the cord and contributing to moderate central canal stenosis (residual AP diameter 7mm)
Uncovertebral osteophytes resulting in moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis greater on the right
C4-5 The disc is narrowed.  There is a moderate annular disc bulge with end plate spur abutting the cord without
compression and resulting in moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis greater on the right.
C5-6 and 6-7 There is no central canal or neural foraminal stenosis at these levels of fusion surgery.
C7-T1  Small central disc protrusion partially effacing the ventral CSF without neural impingement
NOTE: Mild reversal of the usual cervical lordotic curvature.

Based upon the above report, my Dr. (neurosurgeon), advised surgery C3-4 and C4-5 with Anterior fusion.
The other option offered, Disc Replacement Surgery.  Last week I received the approval from my insurance
company, authorizing the Disc Replacement (2)

I then decided to get a second opinion from another neurosurgeon, this Dr., wanted a current MRI.
Following are the results, (Radiology Report), dated June/08.

CONCLUSION: ANTERIOR FUSION FROM C5 TO C7.  MULTILEVEL POSTERIOR DISC ABNORMALITIES
WITH SPINAL STENOSIS AND FORAMINAL NARROWINGS AS DETAILED BELOW WITH SEVERE SPINAL STENOSIS AT C3-C4
Indication:  Cervical Spondylosis with myelopathy
Comparison:  Comparison is made with MRI done 02-14-2008 and 8-23-2006
Findings:  There is mild reversal of normal cervical lordosis from C2 to C5.  Status post anterior interbody
fusion at C5-6 and C6-7.  Cervical vertebral alignment is maintained.  Disc degenerative changes are present at C3-4, C4-5, and C7-T1.
C1-2 Minor atlantodental degeneration. No spinal stenosis or foraminal narrowing
C2-3  Posterior central disc protrusion, about 2.9mm in AP thickness.  Effaces the ventral subarachnoid space
and causing minor ventral cord flattening.  The AP diameter of the spinal canal along midline is 8.2 mm with mild
spinal stenosis.  There is bilateral facet degeneration without significant foraminal narrowing.
C3-4Lobulated broad-based posterior disc extrusion is present with superior prolapse behind the midline is C3  vertabra. The extended disc fragment is about 3.3 mm AP x 12.8 mm CC.  There is associated cord compression.
The diameter of the spinal canal along midline is 5.8 mm with severe spinal stenosis.  Bilateral facet degeneration
is present.  There is severe left and moderate to severe right foraminal narrowing.
C4-5  Broad-based posterior disc bulging with right posterior paracentral and foraminal disc protrusion with associated
osteophytes.  There is effacement of the ventral subarachnoid space with mild ventral cord flattening.  The AP diameter of the spinal canal along midline is 7.8 with mild to moderate spinal stenosis.  Bilateral facet degeneration
is present.  There is narrowing of the bilateral C5 nerve root entry zones, more so on the right with severe right and
moderate to severe left foraminal narrowing.
C5-6 and C6-7  There is no spinal stenosis or associated cord compression.  There is no significant foraminal narrowing
C7-T1  Posterior central disc bulge about 2mm in AP thickness.  There is partial effacement of the ventral subarachnoid space.  There is no cord compression or spinal stenosis
Compared to the recent scan of 2-14-2008 NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGE IS NOTED.  Compared to the scan of 08-23-2008, the posterior disc abnormality at C3-4 with associated cord compression and spinal stenosis have significantly
worsened.

END of REPORTS    Now someone PLEASE HELP!!  I really have no idea what these reports are saying.  Based on the report dated 2-14-2008  I have been advised by both a neurosurgeon and an orthopedic surgeon that surgery
is appropriate, necessary,  to continue to wait lessons the high-probablity of success, and worst case senario...
should I get involved in even a "slight fender bender" (ie: auto accident), I run the risk of permanent parallysis.

Based on the latest report June/ 08, I have a neurosurgeon advising me that surgery is not gonna help me.

Please share your opinions, experience's, etc.  What does all this mean??
Thank-you and God-Bless

This discussion is related to Cervical MRI REsults.