Neurology Community
Random Numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Random Numbness

I am a 27 year old male who has been experiencing growing numbness in seemingly random areas for some time now. The numbness has never been accompanied by any pain, soreness, muscle weakness, or any other symptom. I first noticed, and it is currently most pronounced, in my genital area including most of my penis, my testicles, and buttocks. Some areas have almost no sensation (genitals) while other areas have varying levels of sensation (buttocks). There are areas about the rest of my body that are experiencing similar symptoms, such as the middle of my back and areas on my legs. I first noticed a small area of numbness at the base of my penis, then later noticed the other problem areas. They have been steadily getting worse since then. That was about six years ago. It seems that the numbness has been pretty consistent, not getting better and then worse, but simply getting consistenly worse over this period. At this point, it has become difficult to have sex due to the lack of sensation. I hope you can give me some advice. It has been a few years since I have sought to have this treated, but when i did, I had Mri images taken of my entire brain and spine and the neurologist said there was nothing noteworthy. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my problem.
There can be several reasons of your thigh/genital/legs and generalized body numbness although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Most likely your symptoms could be due to injury to a nerve, pressure on spinal/peripheral nerves (neuropathy), vitamin deficiency, lack of blood supply due to cholesterol plaque from atherosclerosis in the extremities, viral infection and use of certain medications.  In addition, atherosclerosis can also cause pain, numbness, and tingling while walking and this can also reduce blood supply and lead to numbness. Please consult your doctor to get all these possibilities evaluation in your case and for further assessment. Hope this helps.