Neurology Community
Random stabbing pain in lower legs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Random stabbing pain in lower legs

For several months I had a sharp stabbing pain that would occur randomly in my lower legs between knee and ankle. It was not always in the same place, and would happen a few times a day with no apparent relationship to activity or lack thereof. The hospital checked my circulation and found some minor damage to the valves in my leg veins, but nothing serious. I am in my 50s and exercise regularly but not excessively. I have done a lot of running over the years. What could cause this? The pain was like a deep stab with an ice pick, and would stop me in my tracks. It would last for up to 15 or 20 seconds and then subside, sometimes just one stab, and sometimes repeated stabs over a few minutes. The doctors were unable to explain it, and it went on for 3-4 months. I am worried about it happening again and would like to know what might have caused it.
Hello Dear,
There are many causes of pain such as varicose veins,peripheral arterial disease,phlebitis,vascular reasons and many more.Which test was done and what was the dignosis?.You should consult a vascular specialist and get the disease diagnosis done.
Best