Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Cavernous Angioma

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Cavernous Angioma

Posted By CCF NSG MD /gsh on August 17, 1998 at 19:20:24:

In Reply to: Cavernous Angioma posted by Alfonso Camacho on August 16, 1998 at 22:13:46:

I am a 57 years old man. I live in Mexico City. Last April I had a  left parietal brain hemmorhage without sequels. My last MRI shows the possibility of a cavernous angioma. My neurologist tells me to wait and watch until December to confirm the diagnosis. Actually the main troubles I have are mild headaches from the left eye to the back side of the head. neckaches very mild convulsions on the right side of the abdomen,numbness on the right arm up to the thumb specially when I am stressed, feeling unbalanced and lack of memory. I will kindly ask you the following questions and I will be very thankful for your response.
1. Is surgery the only cure for cavernous angioma?
2. The angioma can bleed again?
3. If this is possible is there a risk of another dangerous bleeding between April and December?
4. Is it possible that an angioma bleeds only once and no surgery is neccesary?
5.Is it convinient to wait until December to confirm the diagnosis having the risk of another bleeding, or is it better to have the surgery.
6. Considering that the Hematoma is in the back side of the head, in a zone called by the doctors silent zone, which are the risks of a surgery.
7. Is the angioma a congenit or genetic disease.
8. In case of a personal appointment at your clinic, wich doctor will you recommend me?
_______
_______
Dear Alfonso,
Cavernous angiomas are well circumscribed benign tangles of blood vessels in the brain.  There are no definitive feeding arteries or veins, yet these lesions can present with bleeding as well as seizures and neurological deficits, depending on their location.  When cavernous angiomas bleed, they tend not to be catastrophic in nature, though there are always exceptions.  They may be sporadic or hereditary.  The annual risk of hemorrhage is less than 2%, and again, these are typically not life threatening episodes of bleeding.  Cavernous angiomas have a typical appearance on MRI, which can be quite conclusive evidence of their presence.
The best therapy for a cavernous angioma is surgical resection.  Radiation therapy and chemotherapy are ineffective.  Yours is in the left parietal lobe, which would make resection of the lesion a good option.  Surgical risks should be low, but you should discuss this with your surgeon.
We would gladly render a second opinion if you so choose.  An appointment can be made with one of the vascular neurosugeons by calling 1-800-223-2273.  Ask the operator for the neurosurgery appointment secretary.  Dr. Mayberg or Dr. Chyatte would be good choices, though any surgeon in our group would be fully capable of taking excellent care of you.
Good luck.

A related discussion, hemangioma was started.