Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Is the feeling that your brain is being shaken inside your head a ...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Is the feeling that your brain is being shaken inside your head a seizure?

Posted By CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on January 31, 1999 at 11:11:59:

In Reply to: Is  the feeling that your brain is being shaken inside your head a seizure? posted by Andy on January 10, 1999 at 00:30:54:

For the last six months I have been waking up with severe headaches around the crown of my head and behind the ears.  The first time i had one it was so severe I thought i was going to die.  Since then i have sen my Dr. who prescribed some motrin for them.  My blood pressure was fine so that was not the cause.  The motrin seems to take care of them.  But last night before bed, My vision was a little off.  I felt as though i had been spinning.  Then in the middle of the night I jerked awake, and for quite a few seconds my vision was jerking and I felt as if there was an earthquake inside my skull. It was not painfull, but very frightening.  I am also taking meridia, and have been for 8 weeks.  Could this have anything to do with it?
Dear Andy:
Sorry to hear about the shaking stuff going on in your head.  I think that if you read the insert that came with the medication that it says that CNS problems can happen, one of which is seizures.  What you describe may or may not be a seizure.  I would suggest that stopping the medication would be the correct thing to do.  We haven't seen many patients who have been on this medication.  The drug companies are forcing the FDA to approve medications faster (together with groups who want medications such as AIDs) that many side effects only occur when the medication is released from market.  In addition, the animal rights folks are forcing the testing to be done on you and your children and not animals.  So, things like this happen.  I am sorry that this has happened to you.  I hope that this is a one time deal and it was the meridia that was the responsible agent.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro[P] MD