Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Lactic acid
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: Lactic acid

Posted By CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on March 26, 1999 at 09:59:03:

In Reply to: Lactic acid posted by Dan on March 26, 1999 at 09:41:29:

Dear Sirs,I have posted a couple of questions before.I have had my HIV test and Herpes6 tests and thank God they are NEg.My muscle enzymes CK are still elevated.I still have a left side salivary gland problem,sluggish productioin of sliva.If you can answer a few questions.
Does a neg ANA reading rule out scleoderma?
My lactic acid and serum folate were both high what does this tell us?
It seems that the dantrium has done little to help the muscle aches and fibulations?
All my neuro test neg EEG,and muscle biopsy showed only 25% atri-muscle on a estrease stain.No vasculatis.
Most of all my blood test were neg even RUM factor.
Could this all be a metoblic disorder,do ck levels rise from that?
Thank you for your help and keep up the good work!

Dear Dan:
I am happy to hear that you don't have HIV but sorry that your having continued problems.  A high CK level means that your muscle is leaking CK from either membrane problems or cell death.  The lactic acid level increases would either mean that the blood was drawn incorrectly (unlikely in multiple blood draws) or that you have a metabolic problem.  Given the two finding together, I would think that your neurologist would be looking at metabolic disorders that affect muscle.  Ask if the muscle biopsy showed abnormal looking mitochondria especially on Gomori staining.  Did you have a EMG performed, that might help out to further define what your problem might be.  What was the B12 level?
Actually a neg ANA does not rule out scleroderma.  The definitive test is a skin biopsy, but the sedimentation rate should have been high, and also elevated CK levels would not be found.  Dantrolene is a muscle relaxer, in the family of chemicals like valium.  I would be suprised if it stopped the muscle aches with fasiculations.  It might help over the short term but not help elucidate the etiology.  
I would pursue the metabolic/muscle angle with your neurologist.  I hope you find an answer to your problem.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro[P] MD