Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Lhermittes Sign

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Lhermittes Sign

Posted By Michelle on March 10, 1998 at 17:03:55:

In Reply to: Lhermittes Sign posted by P.S. on March 10, 1998 at 11:57:44:

: : : : : : : I have been having symptoms of MS, including Lhermittes sign. However all of the MRI's and an Evoked Potential, and a spinal have all come back neg. I am wondering are there other conditions that will not show up on MRI that will cause Lhermittes sign?
: : : : : Thanks and God bless. P.S.
: : Hi, I am not a doctor, but I am was wondering the same thing. All of my tests have come back negative for MS (same ones you have mentioned above). I too, have what is called L'herimitte's sign and was wondering why it would not show up on an MRI, especially of a c-spine MRI done with gadolinium. Isn't L'herimitte's sign caused from myelopathy; and wouldn't cord myelopathy show up on an MRI. I've been looking for an answer to this quesion for a long time now and can't find any information out there on the internet.
: Michele, My opthamalogist told me I had ON on a phone consult, after three weeks of sharp/stabbing pain in left eye, including blurred/double vision, and a shadey/greyness in the outside field of vision. This has been followed by five months of double/blurred vision and inability to focus. My neuro called Mayo clinic on Friday, Mayo called me on Monday and wanted me to come in on Wednesday. I told them I needed more time so they schedualed me for the following Monday. I was told there is usually a 6 months waiting list. Thanks, and I will try to remembet to fill you in on my results.       God bless, P. S.

: : : : Hello, P.S.
It is Wednesday and I am wondering how you are doing and how things went at Mayo. Hope all is well and I hope to here from you soon.
Michelle.
not great. The Mayo Drs., didn't find out anything I didn't already know. Six bad disc that they are not convinced are causing the problems, some bone spurrong, that they also do not feel is causing the problem. Nothing shows up on the tests yet, so no Dxs.    P.S.

=

: : Dear P.S.
Sorry to hear that you're not doing well. Hang in there, hopefully some light will be shed on your problems. I know that you're going through a rough time. If they can't identify the problem, I am wondering why they wouldn't attribute your problems to the bone spurring etc. But the ON is still hard to explain. Did the drs. speculate as to what may be causing your problems, or did they just tell you they didn't know and leave it at that? Hope things will turn around for you soon. I am thinking of you. Michelle
Michelle,
No the Mayo clinic drs. offered no help. They said there were several different little thing wrong, yet acted as though none of them would really cause my problems. My local Drs., still seem to believe it will probably end up being Ms., just slow to show up on tests. I will just wait and see. Thanks for your concern. My opthamalogist says he is sure it is neuro-muscular. Time will tell. God bless.         P.S.

=

Dear P.S.,
Maybe, what you have is not MS. Did your drs. ever check in to the possibility of Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis? It is similar to MS in that they both share similar symptoms. However, Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis is "monophasic", meaning that it only occurs once and never again. The person who gets it can recover gradually. Feel better, Michelle