Neurology Expert Forum
Re: MRI Results Show Normal despite symptoms
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank

Re: MRI Results Show Normal despite symptoms

Posted By Chris on July 11, 1997 at 20:05:45:

In Reply to: MRI Results Show Normal despite symptoms posted by Linda Spurlock on July 06, 1997 at 18:10:36:

: I need to know whether an MRI is conclusive.  Is it possible for disease states to exist and the MRI to show normal i.e. epilepsy or tumor?
Speaking as a mother here.. My son has all symptoms including growth hormone hypersecretion, of a pituitary tumor.  His uncle had the same symptoms and died for other reasons.  They found on autopsy that he had had several pituitary microadenomas.  The radiologists that did my son's MRI said he had a large pituitary tumor and then we sent the films to a pediatric neurosurgeon.  They also said he had a pituitary tumor.  The follow up MRI didn't show any tumor at all.... go figure??????  He still has symptoms of a pituitary tumor.  In other words..... the MRI is as good as those who interpret them.  The MRI is still new to most radiologists.. I believe they'll be alot of errors until it becomes as second nature as the plain xray films.  I believe there are very few tests that are 100%.  Sometimes it helps to repeat the same test to see if there's any difference in the interval.