Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Muscle Twitching

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Muscle Twitching

Posted By CCF MD GS on September 14, 1998 at 09:42:33:

In Reply to: Re: Muscle Twitching posted by Jessie on August 08, 1998 at 22:05:04:

Please excuse this long message, but I am sincerely seeking help from anyone who can possibly help.  Please read the following information and if you can help, please do.
I am 27 years old and have had a series of health related problems over the last 2 months.  It started out on my first day of vacation.  I just did not feel like myself-I was more tired than normal.  Over the course of 2 weeks on vacation, I continued to feel a little tired and started feeling a little dizzy.  The dizzyness increased and I noticed at times, my right eye seemed to ache a bit.  I also experienced some malaise.  I finally returned from vacation and I started worrying a lot.  I then looked on the Internet for the symptoms that I was exeriencing and most everything that I had found, pointed to a brain tumor or Leukemia.  Well, this scared me even more and my stomach started to ache and I would have this pain in the upper left of my stomach so I went to the doctor.  He examined everything, my back, my stomach, he examined my eyes and listened to everything that I had to say.  After visiting with him, he assured me that I was in good health, but he took a blood test to be safe.  He called me back 2 days later and said the results were normal except that my calcium was high.  Nearly 3 days later, I started experiencing muscle twitches in my calves.  Over the course of the next week, the twitching became more apparent througout my entire body.  I called the doctor again and he told me that I better come back in.  I did.  He said that he asked me to come in because he noticed that my calcium was high and that I may have a possible growth on a gland in my neck (some doctor terms, that I have no clue about) so they re-took my blood.  He told me they were going to do a normal test and a special tyroid test to be sure.  He diagnosis was that I was suffering from stress and anxiety which he is right and I will explain this at the bottom of this.  He called me 3-4 days later and said everything was fine.  I started to notice that my right eye was aching even more so I then went to an eye doctor.  They checked everything, I mean everything- pressure, distance, etc.  For starters, my eyes are not that bad.  I mean, I am near sited, but they were very dry so gave me some eye drops to help get my eyes better.  He re-scheduled me to come back so he could look in the back of my eye.  I went back and spent about an hour with him.  He was very thorough.  He checked for growths, tumors lesions, EVERYTHING!  He did not find a thing except he did say that my optic nerve in my right eye was larger than the left.  He said that he did feel that it was pathological, but that he wants to keep an eye on it over the next 4 months.  Two weeks passed and I just did not feel like myself.  I could not stand the muscle twitching and the dizzyness.  I went back to the doctor to see a different doctor.  I told him about my eye examination and what the eye doctor told me.  After about 25 minutes of discussion and examination, this new doctor told me the same things as the first- severe case of stress and anxiety.  I asked him directly if I had any symptoms of something more serious like a brain tumor or MS.  He told me that he does not see any signs.  I left feeling good and I actually felt pretty good for the first time in a long time.  HOWEVER, the problem is that I still feel about the same.  I still have the twitching all over my body, even on the top of my head!  I do notice that it subsides some days, but other times, it is still there.  My arms, shoulders, and legs are shaky, (ie. I really notice when I walk down stairs) and I still feel some slight dizzyness.  Not vertigo, though. Overall, I feel good, but I am not like I used to be.  I continue to live like I used to, I am somewhat active and I am happy, at least I think I am. If I have not lost you while you reading this, God knows I did not want to make this too long, but this all seemed to start in March. Yes, March.  It does not make sense because I said that I started noticing a decline in health 2 months ago.  I am a tobacco chewer.  In March, I noticed a white sore on my tongue and I almost passed out.  A few days passed and the white dore went away, but I found myself really scared and worried.  I also found myself in front of the mirror many hours a day, looking for sores.  Then finally, I noticed a white sore in the back of my mouth near my wisdom tooth.  I went to the dentist and he checked me out.  He said that there was no cancer or anything to worry about, but my wisdom teeth had to come out soon.  I recently had them pulled, thank God in Heaven for that.  The worry seemed to decline and I felt great, but 1 week later I started my vacation and this is when I started to notice my health problems.  Anyhow, to end this book, I know that I have been under a lot of stress and worry over the last 5 months. More than I can really handle.  Can stress and worry cause my symptoms?  What is the next step for me?  If you can help, please do.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Again, sorry for the long message.

=

See answer above