Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Muscle twitching

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Muscle twitching

Posted By CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on March 01, 1999 at 18:17:50:

In Reply to: Muscle twitching posted by Denise on March 01, 1999 at 13:22:44:

I am a 30 year old female.  Six weeks ago I developed muscle twitches all
over my body.  It first started with a twitching right eye.  The twitching
of the eyelid lasted for a few days then died down a bit.  But showed up in different parts of my body.  I have had twitches in my back, buttocks, thighs, around the top of my knee, calves arms and occasionally my left thumb.  I seen my family doctor who thought it was stress and anxiety and prescribed buspor.  Now four weeks later I still have twitches all over my body.  I mostly notice them at rest at night or when first waking, but they do occur through out the day.  I have also had a lot of joint popping and cracking.  I have had some pain in my hands, nothing terrible, the pain has been in my wrist and up along the pinkie side of my hand and sometimes across the top of my hand.    I know this sounds like a lot of different symptoms but I am afraid of having ALS.   I haven't noticed any weakness but all the same I am worried.  Thanks for having such a great place for information and thank you for your time.

Dear Denise:
I am sorry to hear about your body twitches.  Since I did not see the twitches and have not examined you, it is impossible to tell you what is going on to cause the muscle twitching.  Whole body twitching is very unusual, especially if you are fully awake and they are constant for days at a time.  I would recommend that you see a neurologist.  Sure, anxiety can cause muscle twitching as can stress, but not for days at a time.  Get a second opinion with a neurologist.  Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro[P] MD