Re: Neck spasm/cervical spondylosis
Hello-My name is Claudia--I am trying to do a little research---questioning physiotherapy treatment, versus chiropractic.  I have read a few posts and have gathered a little information, where it is suggested that chiro could actaully cause problems if there is a neurologic componnet-- I have had chronic neck pain on and off for a # of years--usually a flare, that lasts up to a week.  I do not usually have headaches or paresthesias-although I have had a tiny bit of tingling in my left third finger a week or so ago.  My neck pain this past week (weather changes here in Eastern Ontario--warm to cold etc) has escalated and now it is actually grinding and its the strangest thing because to turn my neck from left to right it "pops" and it feels like it is th larger of the vertebrae - also on my right side, it is very very stiff and sore-I have been using Ibuprofen and Robaxacet for pain relief and applying heat, cutting back on any activities etc. I also have a flare of iritis going on, in its 5th week and hopefully moving on.  I discovered in my mid-30's that I had a gene for HLA-B27 which "can" subject me to ankylosing spondyllitis (and probably cervical spondylosis as I'm thinking)  Anyway...I'm thinking I need treatment right now as it is very painful--I have a massage booked so I can relax and then I thought physio - and getting new pillows!!  I work at a desk from home, doing medical transcription and have done this kind of work for most of my life--I do try, now that I'm working from home, to take more breaks and do more neck exercises and back exercises - but I have to admit sometimes time slips away from me and I forget and before I know it a few days have gone by and I'm stiff!!

I'm just not sure about chiro-it has helped my husband's back problem but I'm very nervous about my neck--

Thank you for any advice !! :)

Claudia
If I could turn back the clock and do it all over again, I would have gotten a 2nd opinion (no matter how "good" i thought my neurosurgeon was).  First you need to find out if you have a problem and exactly what it is.  If I thought i had a cervical issue (which i did) the last person i would let touch me is a chiro, until films were done and i knew what was going on in there.  My neck cracked and popped for many years but the pain was intermittent and usually led to severe headaches.  if your in consistent pain, go see someone with a MD behind their name to make sure the situation isnt serious, then if no immediate worries present i would try other things, like phys ther and chiro.  just my $.02