Neurology Expert Forum
Re: One side facial swelling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: One side facial swelling

About 3 months ago, I took Phentermine 15 mg for about a week. Shortly therafter I noticed my right side of my face was swelling. I have gone to the eye specialist, because I initally only noted the swelling about the lower lid - no problems. I have gone to the ENT - some sinusitus shown on CT scan - not noteworthy. 2weeks of Augmentin for possible Salivary gland infection - no improvement and ENT ruled this out. ENT doesn't think it's TMJ. Went to Neurologist and had MRI of brain, nothing abnormal. Tested for lupus and other imflammatory diseases (folic acid and vitamin b ect.) no findings. I am going to the dermatologist now, no allergies noted on testing. Currently taking Zonolan cream 2 times a day for 3 weeks, on the 3 rd day with no improvement. I have consistent swelling for the last 3 months. It seems to me the swelling is mostly on the right cheek closer to the nose area. Some pain in the area, but it's not really significant. some discomfort at times at different places on my cheek, but I don't know it it's just because of the edema. Phentermine was all I took different. I usually take Allegra or allegra D and fiorcet for headaches, about 3 pills a week, depending. Could the phentermine be causing this, I took it once years ago with no problems. Could it be a reaction, muscular, or nerves. I am at a loss as to what to think or do. No other medical conditions do I have. I am 31 y/o and relatively healthy. Smoke 1/2 pack a day of cigarettes, though. Thank you.
I am not aware of Phentermine causing this as a side effect. Has anyone done a MRI to look at the soft tissues of the face and orbit? Otherwise, I can not think of a specific neurologic disorder which could cause this. Wish I could be of more help. Good luck
Meesha, I suffered yrs. w/ off/on 1-sided swelling & under eye
dull pain extending to cheek bone & temple prssr.  MRI showed
nothing. 10 ENT's said zip! Allergy tests = 0. Ear fullness on
same side had me try 3 tubes. Slight help but all were dismissing
my suffering.  Finally got MD to order a `Coronal CT'. He said
just looked like sinusitis. A later CT showed slt. changes & I
got 0 response to meds. No one would help. I finally had surgery
by endoscopic procedure. The pathology came back w/ multi-site
cancer cells w/ bone fragments! Yrs. of infection can do that.
If it's only one-sided, it's not allergies. Could be a cyst or
polyp. I had 4 surgeries after that w/ no apologies. Yrs. of
over-looked problem ended me up w/ life long follow-up. I used
Augmentin. It will work if it's just infection. The under eye
swelling may mean it's in the Ethmoid area. Have Dr. stay w/ you
& repeat CT's or get a new doc. I had a rare `inverted-papilloma'
that only was found by pathology. Also, allergy meds can make
sinusitis worse by drying the membranes not to drain properly.
I wish you luck. Remember, if it's just 1-side then it needs to
be looked at closer. Most ENT's don't think out of the box!
A related discussion, whats causing right sided face and neck swelling was started.
A related discussion, right sided pain and swelling was started.
A related discussion, Left side face swollen was started.
A related discussion, right side facial swelling was started.