Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Pain under arm, around the front and back and shoulder blades

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Posted By Henriette Schwab on July 02, 1999 at 09:14:06
Dear doctors,
Four months ago, I awoke one night with pain under my left arm.  By morning
it was on both sides.  Over the following weeks, the pain moved around
the arm muscles in the front, to the back, under the arm and around the
shoulder blades.  At first the doctor thought it might be costochondritis,
but it wasn't.  Ibuprofen didn't help.  My heart checked out fine - had
the usual tests.  I then went to physical therapist after that.  She said
my posture needed to be much straighter and she gave me some exercises to
strengthen what seems to be real weakness around the arm muscles.  There
are days when the pain is minimal, but then it seems to return.  She said
it would take some months before it is resolved.  I know that I have
strained these particular muscles, especially over the past year, and yet
do you think that it should take this long to get better?  I have difficulty sleeping sometimes, and other nights it is not too bad.  The pain is usually worse in the morning, although I have had some pain free mornings too.  Nothing seems to make any sense at this point.  Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Posted By CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on July 02, 1999 at 13:56:51
Dear Henriette:
Sorry to hear about your pain.  There are a couple of things that strike me.  First, without examining you and knowing your history, it is difficult to give you an exact diagnosis.  Since the pain is sort of waxing and waning but never disappearing, it may be that something you do puts stress on the nerves that go to the muscles you describe (nerves in the cervical spine).  It may be a sleeping position or a new routine at work or at the gym.  It may also be due to a worsening spinal cord/disc/neural foramen problem.  It might be best to go see a neurologist and have a full neurological examination.  This way a trained person who specializes in nerve problems will be able to fully access the problem.  Sorry I couldn't be more specific.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro MD

Posted By Elizabeth on July 06, 1999 at 15:50:37
Dear Doctor, I have just recently been to a neurologist in which he says that y symptoms are not specific enough to make a diagnosis. Must wait and see! One week later I was in the emergency ward with a possible heart attack or muscle/nerve problem.  Although, the heart problem was the most concern with all doctors, the muscle-nerve problem was not addressed. Just that it was not a HA and take motrin for the pain.  Ok!  It seems that the medical field is not as aggressive today as just 20years ag0 although they should be more educated in peoples diagnosises and other problems now!  The pain still is present, the tingling is still present and I eat motrin and advil probably until it eats my stomach away!  The pain is in my upper right side near the spine with tingling down the arm including my fingers.  It is most annoying! The pain seems worse at night only because I am sitting down with my husband and family and not very busy!!!and I notice it more in which it waxes and wanes in intensity.  I feel I needed a cat scan to rule out a problem with my nerves/muscles or is it just Fibromyalgia, the catch-all of all things! Yes, I have been dx as having FB. Is it the FB or is it something else?  How is one to know if it is not a part of a chronic condition or something other?  Another question.  Can a anaphylatic reaction trigger Fibromyalgia?  Is this possible? and other problems in the system ie eyes? Please let me know what you think! Elizabeth            

Follow Ups:

Re: Pain under arm, around the front and back and shoulder blades CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 7/06/1999
(3)

Pain under arm, around the front and back and shoulder blades Elizabeth 7/15/1999
(0)

Pain under arm, around the front and back and shoulder blades Henriette Schwab 7/08/1999
(1)

Re: Pain under arm, around the front and back and shoulder blades CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 7/08/1999
(0)