Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Things going grey
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank

Re: Things going grey

Posted By CCF MD GS on May 18, 1998 at 12:31:02:

In Reply to: Re: Things going grey posted by Becky on May 13, 1998 at 22:56:22:

:
Hi! I am 23 yrs old and have just returned home from the hospital. I
have just been diagnosed with neurocardiogenic syncope. I had no previous problems. I just woke up one morning and felt lightheaded. When I stood up everything went black but I was still aware of where I was at and what I was doing . This again happened on next morning, but I then passed out. So off I went  for test.
I was diagnosed with neurocardiogenic syncope after a tilt table test!   I am also on a beta blocker - Florinef.
I was told to use extra salt and also drink gatorade and sports drinks.
This is suppose to pull the extra fliud into your blood stream and
therefore make your blood volume increase.

If you think this is a possibility let me know!
Hope this helps some anyway.
***@****

Thanks for the question. We have answered several questions on neurocardiogenic syncope in the past so if you search through the archives you may find some other information. As you know the problem is one of maintaining orthosis (upright position). The function of the florinef and salt is to increase your intravascular volume (fliud inside your blood vessels). This then increases your cardiac output (blood out of your heart) and helps perfuse your brain better. Stockings on your lower extremities can also be helpful. It can be a very aggrevating condition that can limit your activity. We have an excellent syncopy clinic at CCF led by Dr. Fouad in cardiology. If you wish a referral call 216 444 5974.
This information is provided for general medical education purposes. Please consult your physician regarding diagnostic and treatment options.