Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Three weeks of neck pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Three weeks of neck pain

Posted By Troy on May 08, 1999 at 10:01:22
  For the last three weeks, I have been experiencing a dull ache at the base of my skull/top of the neck. At first I thought I had probably just slept wrong or pulled a muscle, but the pain seems to come and go and not really effect the movement of my neck (doesn't feel like the usual stiff neck).
  The ache seems to be on either side of my spine, located maybe half way between the spine and the bottom of the ears. Any ideas what could be causing this discomfort? I haven't really had any headaches or any other symptoms, but have noticed a similar pain midway down my back, on the right side. The back pain has been around since October.
   Thanks for your input.

Posted By CCF MD mdf on May 08, 1999 at 11:07:31
The most likely explanation is muscle spasm or tension. I wouldn't be surprised if you have some inflammation in your neck (from wear and tear), and the pain and reactive spasms are from that. I have seen people with wear and tear of the spine even in their 20s, though of course it is more common as people get older.
I would see your doctor. A neurologic exam likely will establish that there is no damage to your nervous system. You may not need any tests, especially if treatment is effective soon. Your doctor is likely to give you anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen. Physical therapy can help, too.
If things don't go as expected, then further investigation may be undertaken. But your pattern of pain is quite common, and most of the time the explanation is fairly benign and the treatment is pretty effective.
I hope this helps. CCF MD mdf.

Follow Ups:

Three weeks of neck pain Jody, PA-C 5/11/1999
(1)

Re: Three weeks of neck pain CCF MD.... 5/13/1999
(0)