Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Tremors/Seizures
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: Tremors/Seizures

Posted By CCF Neuro MD* on February 11, 1999 at 15:15:41:

In Reply to: Tremors/Seizures posted by Steve on February 11, 1999 at 12:43:16:

I had a seizure of my entire body at the end of a stressful plane flight early last December. A hyperventilation test during an EEG elicited the same seizure; but no abnormal electrical activity showed up. I was fine for a while after that. Within a few weeks tremors and mild shaking started appearing in my limbs, one side or the other. Im mid-January I was hit hard, 25 tremors and seizures in a 5 hour period. They continue sporadically but in a gradually increasing frequency. Symptons:mostly on the right side include foot tapping or rotating, leg extension and contraction both minor and severe, wrist rotating or moving side to side, index finger tapping, fingers "cupping" towards palm in tremor, forearm moving up and down as if scratching, sometimes minor sometimes severe, entire arm shaking rapidily as if I'm trying to shake something off my fingers, head nodding, difficulty walking, unsure steps, have frozen to floor. Jaw has been forced down and outward like a bulldog. During severe episodes I experience rigidity in much of my body except for the limb with the spasm. Have had difficulty initiating the swallowing reflex. Vision problems with focus and tracking. Numbness in back of head. A few cold waves coming from base of skull up back of head. Excessive saliva. Well, that's the jist of it all. The most frequent and persistent symtom are the walking problems, followed closely by right forearm shaking. The rest are less frequent or have only happened on a few occassions. Anxiously awaiting your response....thanks

Dear Steve,
I am having a hard time localizing all of your symptoms.  It is reassuring that you had a "spell" during the EEG recording and there were no abnormal discharges during the tracing.  This implies that you are not having true seizure from abnormal discharges in the brain.  The spells themselves may be secondary to stress; this is not uncommon.  If you have not already,as a first step I recommend a good neurological evaluation and physical exam.  If everything checks out further workup may not be indicated.  If you are interested in getting an evaluation at CCF call 1-800-CCF-CARE.  Good Luck.