Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Tremors in an infant

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Tremors in an infant

Posted By CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on October 30, 1998 at 15:44:43:

In Reply to: Tremors in an infant posted by Kelli on October 28, 1998 at 04:56:47:

I have a baby who is 6mo. old very happy ,healthy normal,  exept, in Aug he started shaking mostly his head and maybe 85% of it is while he is nursing and very relaxed. Once he did it in front of the mirror, he was exighted.They last maybe 30-60 seconds.  My Pediatrician called them Tremors and Normal. He does it at least once a day now, when they first started I saw one or maybe two a week. I have counted up to six in one day now. He has had a normal EEG and blood work-up. The only thing that has tested badly (twice) is his Calcium level it was 13.9 both times. History: I was in a car accident when I was pregnant,(7 months) I had to be put on Tredutaline (sp) to slow down my contractions he was born 4 weeks early weighed 5.9 lbs. He is my third child and both of my daughters are healthy and this never happened to them.  My mother has had Two brain Aneuisms(sp) operated on by Dr. Winn in Seattle. I guess my question is should I listen to my pediatrician and dismiss this as something thats normal and he'll probably grow out of or do you think there might be something worth looking into. I have not met one person who has seen Tristin do this shaking thing that wasn't speechless. Its quite scary and there is nothing I can do to stop it once he starts shaking, I shouted Ive tried to hold his head still Ive even moved him suddenly and nothing stops it. Please give me advise on what I should do, or if I should just not worry anymore.
Dear Kelli:
Congradulations on having a healthy normal child.  Having children and watching them grow is one of the greatest things on earth.  Tell me a few things, in which directions does she move her head?  is it only in one direction?, how is her neck strength, does she keep her head up and look about without problems?  As you pick her up, does she have any head lag?  When you notice her head tremors, is it more at the end of the day or can it happen at anytime with no change in frequency or quality throughout the day?  What were his apgar scores at birth?  There is a long list of things that could cause this but most of them are so rare that I would think that it is not likely.  The most common diagnosis other than simple titubation (head bobing) is a seizure event.  The normal EEG would make this less likely.  I am assuming that he has reached the normal developmental landmarks for his age.  Do you notice any trembling as he reaching for objects?  Does he reach with both hands?  By the way, do you have migraine
headaches or is there a family history of migraine headaches.  My guess would be that this is simple titubation and will resolve with age.  I would recommend that you see a pediatric neurologist just to have a good neurological work up.  Give me an update and some of the answers to the questions I asked.  
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro:Pediatrics MD, RPS
A related discussion, infant tremors was started.