Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Triple Vision/Cyanosis of the body.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Triple Vision/Cyanosis of the body.

Posted By Terese  on July 04, 1999 at 09:15:24
Three years ago I was diagnosed with Behcets Disease.  Since that time I have had active vasculitis in my brain diagnosed by spinals, and MRI's.
These have left me with a slightly paralyzed foot, and vision problems-everything wobbles.  A few weeks ago I was driving down the road and all of the sudden I saw triple.  It took me by total surprise!  When I told my Doctor about it he said he had never heard of triple vision.  Any ideas?
Also back in May around the same time when I would sit or stand still for more that 10 minutes or so my feet, hands, and breasts would turn purple.  But if I lifted them high or got up and walked for awhile it would return to a red color.  My Doctor said I looked like Barney the dinasour I was so purple.  He said he didn't think it was vasculitis right in my hands and feet beacause they would return to normal color when lifted over my head.  He put me on cardizem which has helped, but I still can't sit or stand still for very long.  Could this be a neuro problem or something else and how can I find out?
Thanks in advance!!! I really appreciate you forum...

Posted By CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on July 04, 1999 at 10:27:59
Dear Terese:
I have never seen a patient with triple vision.  However, it is theoretically possible if multiple cranial nerves are only partially paralyzed or paretic.  Did you have triple vision in both eyes or only one eye?  If it happens again, close each eye and see if your vision changes.  I would think that it was only one eye, but in medicine one never knows for sure.  Sorry your turning blue in your extremities.  Does this happen all the time, shower, sleeping, etc.?  As Bechets is a systemic vasculitic disease, it may be that your mildly vasoconstricting your small arteries and when your heart rate/blood pressure is mildly decreased you get episodic cyanosis in your extremities (turning blue).  Do your extremities feel cool to you when this happens (I would think that they would)?  When start to walk around you increase your heart rate and blood pressure and subsequently perfuse your extremities with blood, and therefore turn red and subsequently normal.  I bet if it got bad enough, you would see your skin turn white, then blue, then red and finally return to normal.  
I would see a neuro-opthalmologist about your triple vision.  It may be that your having cranial nerve involvement other than the usual fourth nerve problems.  
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro MD

Posted By Terese on July 04, 1999 at 19:59:40
Doctor,
Thank You so much for your quick reply.  In answer to a few of your questions:  Before I was on cardizem my hands, feet, and breasts stayed blue unless I was walking or laying down.  Now since the medicine it seems to happen at different times.  I lay down it appears to return to normal.  While in the shower it turns to almost a sunburn red color, sitting and standing are the worst(but the cardizem has allowed me to sit or stand for longer periods), and getting chilled doesn't help either.  It has gotten bad enough where I go from a sickly white to blue to red to normal, and at times I get extremly light headed. Plus my feet and hands have gotten so cold they are actually painful at times.
The fact that you mentioned my arteries is very interesting because all around the same time when I would lay down I would get this whooshing noise in my head, and the Doctor mentioned it could relate to my arteries.
As far as my triple vision it happened so unexpectedly that it left me wondering what now???  But, I will definetly take the time to examine it closer if it happens again.  Once again Thank you for your time and concern.
KD:  If you would like to e-mail me maybe I can answer some of your questions
     Terese ***@****

Posted By CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on July 05, 1999 at 14:09:55
Best of luck in overcoming your disease.  It is so difficult to see others in good health and have the battle of health in your life.  Hang-in there.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro MD

Posted By Elizabeth on July 06, 1999 at 15:25:06
I have experienced triple vision! It now has been diagnosed in part as a cellophane macular epiretinal membrane on the retinal lens.  This is correctable but is it the only cause of the double to triple vision?  Elizabeth

Posted By CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on July 08, 1999 at 17:06:13
Dear Elizabeth:
I would bet alot that this is the only cause of your triple vision.  The true test will be to see if it resolves after correction (I bet it will).
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro MD

Follow Ups:

A related discussion, triple vision at night was started.
A related discussion, Why do I see triple was started.