Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Unidentified Scalp Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Unidentified Scalp Pain

Posted By Mary on November 13, 1998 at 23:40:29:

In Reply to: Re: Unidentified Scalp Pain posted by CCF neuro MD MM on November 13, 1998 at 17:09:18:

I am a female in my late forties. For about six weeks I have experienced pain in a small area of my scalp.  Sometimes the pain seems to radiate down my forehead and into my temples.  It is not continual or intense, but it is annoying.  I have seen several doctors, but haven't gotten a satisfactory answer.  A dermatologist has prescribed a cortisone lotion.  Another doctor thought I might have burned my scalp from dying my hair.  This makes sense since I noticed the pain shortly after dying my hair.  However, there are no blisters or signs of anything, except for some redness.  Is it possible I damaged a nerve in my scalp from a chemical burn?  I can't find any medical information on this topic.  I have used this same hair dye several times in the past and have not had any adverse results.
The painful area is located around where I part my hair.  I notice the pain when I brush or wash my hair, although it often occurs for no reason at all.
I would appreciate any information you can provide.  

No neurological syndrome jumps to mind as a plausible cause of your scalp
pain.
It is very difficult to imagine  nerve damage from a dye which did not
damage the overlying skin.
Also nerves in the scalp tend to follow very predictable large wedgeshaped
territories and this does not fir the patern.
One long-shot is a problem called cranial arteritis which is a problem with
inflammation of blood vessels in the scalp and inside the brain itself, it
may cause scalp tenderness and pain while combing the hair.
The screening test for this problem is a sedimentation rate which will be
abnormaly high in people who have this disorder.
I suggest you ask your physician if this was checked as it will outrule
a serious cause of scalp tenderness.

In reply to CCF neuro MD MM:
Thank you for your reply.  I did not mention that my family doctor had an ESR or sedimentation test done four weeks ago along with tests for lupus and arthritis.  Everything was negative and he said there was not an elevated sedimentation rate.  The blood test did pick up strep, but I have since taken a round of antibiotics.  I'm baffled; I don't know if I should go back to my dermatologist to check for something serious or go to another specialist and have an MRI done.  The pain isn't getting any better. I can feel it when I move my hair with my fingers in the affected area of the scalp.
Thank you for any help you can provide.