Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Uvula vs. Cranial Nerve Disfunction

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Uvula vs. Cranial Nerve Disfunction

Posted By CCF MD mdf on December 31, 1998 at 14:14:47:

In Reply to: Uvula vs. Cranial Nerve Disfunction posted by Shannon on December 31, 1998 at 01:23:59:

Dear CC Doctor.  Recently at a visit and exam by a physcial therapist, I was told that my uvula was veering to the *right*  side.  She said this was indicative of cranial nerve disfunction on the "left" side.  She was referring to the 9th cranial nerve. Can you please tell me if this is indicative of 9th nerve involvement?   If so, can this be corrected?

The physcial therapist  showed me  others in the room and mine was the only one that was not normal.  What is normal?   I do have some symptoms of V3 (TN) involvement and a possible 9th/10th nerve (glosso) pain.  This is why I was at the P.T.  as my left SCM Muscle seems  also involved.   Thank You for any information you can furnish on this.
=
There is no substitute for an examination by an experienced neurologist. I have seen people with mild deviations of the uvula who have no sign of neurologic disease. Often that deviation can be present undetected for years (how many times do you have the need to notice your own uvula?) and be found incidentally. The question is whether this really does represent CN9/10 dysfunction. A comprehensive screening neurologic examination by a neurologist can detect other possible damage in the nervous system, as well as determine if your uvula deviation is truly abnormal.
I hope this helps. CCF MD mdf.