Neurology Expert Forum
Re: What does "Borderline Epileptic EEG" mean?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: What does "Borderline Epileptic EEG" mean?

Posted By CCF neuro MD MM on April 13, 1999 at 15:16:09:

In Reply to: What does "Borderline Epileptic EEG" mean? posted by Stuart on April 13, 1999 at 09:52:44:

I've just had a verbal (telephone) report on my EEG from the neurologist. I have some abnormalities and the EEG was borderline epileptic. Unfortunately he didn't have time to go into details (and I was more concerned with whether he was going to let me go flying!), but said he'd like to do a sleep EEG as a follow up.  As it will be at least a couple of weeks before my GP gets the written report, I'm left puzzling over what he meant by "borderline epileptic".  
Any thoughts, please?
Stuart

the changes on an EEg which suggest the presence of epilepsy are sharp waves.
Sometines these waves are simply not large enough , sharp enough, or the typical shape to be absolutely sure that they represent an abnormality.
On the other hand it is not possible to simply ignore them. In this case the EEg is termed borderline and a repeat EEg is advised. Sleep or sleep deprivation tends
to enhance epileptic changes in the EEG making the test more sensitive and specific.

Follow Ups:

What does "Borderline Epileptic EEG" mean? Stuart 4/14/1999
(1)

Re: What does "Borderline Epileptic EEG" mean? CCF 4/14/1999
(0)