Neurology Expert Forum
Re: seizures during sleep

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: seizures during sleep

Posted By CCF Neurology* on July 08, 1998 at 22:44:58:

In Reply to: seizures during sleep posted by Candice on July 01, 1998 at 17:02:44:

Dear Doctor,
My boyfriend is 21 and has recently been having seizures in his sleep.  He had
the first one in March and has had about four since then.  He has gone to his doctor
and has had a MRI and EEG and both have come up negitive.  The doctor thinks his
seizures are epilepsy because he bits the side of his tougue and he doesn't remember
anything right after the seizure.  This concerns me because they don't understand
why he is having them.  Why would something like this come up all of a sudden, and
is there anything he can do to prevent it?  He is involved in weight training and
is hoping to play football in the fall.  Is it ok for him to still be involved in
these type of activities, if he keeps on having seizures in his sleep?
Thanks for your time,
Candice

Dear Candice,
It sounds from your description that your boyfriend still may be having seizures. One negative MRI and EEG does not completely rule out this possibility.  I would recommend another EEG (this will increase the chance of finding something). Perhaps a extended 2 hour recording after your boyfriemd has been sleep deprived (therefore, he may sleepduring the exam--his 'peak' seizure time. In the intrim, he should still practice seizure precautions such as no climbing high places, taking a bath, driving etc.  If he is interested in getting an appointment at CCF call 1-800-CCF-CARE. Good Luck.