Neurology Expert Forum
Re: shoulder and right arm pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: shoulder and right arm pain

Posted By Stanley on July 13, 1999 at 09:26:19
It has been 3 weeks, my shoulder and entire my right arm pain, and sometime feel numbness at my right finger tips. Is this neurological problem? How can i seek help?

Posted By CCF Neuro MD MM on July 13, 1999 at 11:02:33
If you have pain in the shoulder that radiates all the way down to the fingertips then it is possible that you have damaged or in some way irritated a nerve in the shoulder. The pain is being felt in the sensory territory of the nerve which extends all the  way down to the fingers.
I would suggest that you consult a neurologist ,ideally one who can perform
an EMG examination as this would identify the exact nerve involved.
I do not know where you live but any latrge University clinic would have these facilities. If you want a consultation at the Cleveland Clinic the number for Neurology appointments is (216 ) 444 5559, no referral is necessary.

Posted By Elizabeth on July 15, 1999 at 13:18:18
Dear Doctor, It is me again, the one with "problems"! I was admitted to the ER
on 6/22/99 and now have my records! DX Cervical Radiculopathy which I am supposed to follow up with my primary doctor not a neurologist referred. However, I think a MRI is in order as a numbness now is ocurring under my right forearm which was not there before. The scapula pain has subsided from a level of 6-7+ to bearable but the pins and needles still are present.  Would a MRI still see the cause of this episode or is it too late to verify the dx? All this esculated during the acute vision loss.  Could this vision loss be a part of this problem?  I hope you will respond if you see this post!  Thank you!  Elizabeth

Posted By CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on July 16, 1999 at 12:39:36
Dear Elizabeth:
Yes, an MRI would give some indications to the etiology of your radic.  There are several other tests that also might help.  Some blood work and especially the EMG.  Have you had an EMG?  This will help your neurologist tell if the problem is demyelination or axonal loss.  The MRI will only show what is there but not really give you the etiology of your radic.  The real issue is what is the etiology.  If you know the etiology then one can possibly treat.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro MD

Follow Ups:

shoulder and right arm pain Elizabeth 7/16/1999
(5)

Re: shoulder and right arm pain CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 7/16/1999
(4)

shoulder and right arm pain Marcie Crain 7/25/1999
(3)

Re: shoulder and right arm pain CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 7/26/1999
(2)

shoulder and right arm pain cas 8/01/1999
(1)

Re: shoulder and right arm pain CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 8/05/1999
(0)