Neurology Community
Recovering from Viral Meningitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Recovering from Viral Meningitis

My boyfriend was in the hospital with viral meningitis in the beginning of February for 3-4 days then home off work for a week.

He's experiencing a few different things:

1. He's had 2 spinal taps prior to his hospital stay and mentions that his spine feels like it's the spine of a 90 year old.  He had different levels of pain and today told me that the injection area from the taps is really bothering him.  Is this normal?  How long will he be having this pain?

2. He's still having some sort of headache ranging from (on a scale of 1 -10 pain level with 10 being the worst) a dull achy 1 to a 6 this morning.  He hasn't mentioned a level above a 5 since his hospital stay.  And this makes him quite nervous.  Will he continue to have headaches and is this normal?

3. Not every day but on occasion, he'll say that his neck is slightly stiff off and on.  Is this normal?

4. He's complaining of knee/joint pain in one leg...could this be associated with this illness?

I know each person is different as far as recovery but what is a typical recovery time for this?

Thanks.
hello, having had 8 spinal taps in the past 2 years, i know what it feels like with the healing of the area where the tap was performed. there are days still and its been 3 months since my last one that i can still feel it. it feels like a deep seeded pain but not very painful. there are times when i get pains that come and go quickly. i want to mention i also had meningitis.

headaches are common. i know i had a headache for almost 6 months after my bout with meningitis. i dont want to scare you with this detail, but that was about how long that they started to dissipate. also, you can get a headache from a spinal tap and the only way to get rid of it is to have another spinal tap. (according to the docs)

stiff neck comes with the territory of  meningitis. not sure about the knee and joint pain. could be related. meningitis regardless of bacterial or viral is a scary disease. yes the likelihood of viral killing is slim, but it can have devastating after effects.

it is definitely worth talking to his doctor about. go and see an infectious disease doctor if he hasnt already while he was in the hospital.

i can only speak from my experience and know that i had similar after effects. i am pretty well now. i do have the occasional spine pain just a small reminder, but all the other symptoms have gone away.

hope for your bf for a speedy recovery.
I know most people do not realise that Viral meningitis is a virus so takes many months to leave your system, (This is what the doctor originally told me). The first time I had it, it took just over 3 months then I felt about 98% better, and then another 3 months until I felt 100%.  It all depends on what doctor does the spinal tap as some are better than others!!!!  The fist time I had one it took about a month till I felt okay. My neck was stiff for ages after and headaches although not as strong as originally.
The knee and joint pain I can only guess when he had the lumbar puncture it caught a nerve and will take time to heal properly, please get that side checked out with his doctor.
I wish you all the best, give him patience and support and get some for you.  All the best.
Carmel