Neurology Community
Recovery from ACDF

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Recovery from ACDF

hi,
iam a patient of diabetic and open heart surgery done in JUN-97 . Recently i under went ACDF surgery in april-07, with a past history of 15 years of pain in my both upper limbs . Recently all of sudden my left lower limb had started numbness and tingling sensation and started to drag my left leg . when i consulted a doctor and underwent the MRI scanning , showed me compression at c3-c4 and c4-c5 levels . after a week i underwent ACDF operation , on the first couple of days i was ok then i started numbness and weakness in my both upper and lower limbs. And also lost my  sensation and bowel and bladder dysfunction.i started physiotherapy after a week and continuing till now ... i could see there is no pain radiating in the lower and upper limbs, iam able to walk with help of Cruncher for new few steps and bladder sensation is now doing good , but there is spasticity because of this both lower limbs are getting stiff and raising towards to my chest....i also have lumbar disc herination problem . its already been 9 months after the ACDF surgery ... is there any chance me coming back to normal life .can any body help me out.....
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello.

It appears that the ACDF surgery had some complications. And that there was a less than expected decompression. Some cases take about a year to recover from it. The lower limb spasticity could be a result of the lumbar disc herniation.

There are al the chances that you will come back to normal life !! All you need is a step wise management of your problems. And once you are out of this all, you can maintain a disciplined lifestyle, and you'll be fine. Speak to your Orthopedic Surgeon about it.

Regards
Hello DrAbhijeet,
                        Gr8t to see ur words filled with encouragement as i was least expecting .Sir u said that there was less expected decompression , will it cause me any harm in near future for full recovery and As  i have mentioned i have lumbar disc herination but it is a mild one , do u suggest me to go with Lumbar surgery......or is that it can be aviodable .... because i don't want to preffer at this time ....... i spend lots of time on physiotherapy(a physio Dr attends me every day ) and streching excersises ...
as iam helpless and weak now a days cannot go and see the doctor ...

Please suggest me some steps and Tips need to be done
1) how to manage my problems ( spasticity, coming out of my lumber disc herination problem)
2) Lifestyle
3) Will i come out of the Surgery complications of ACDF

regrads
shameem.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello Shameem.

The spasticity is a sign of compression of the nerve going to the muscle. The lumber disc herniation has to be taken care of. Unless you reduce the "pinch" on the nerves, the spaticity will not go. I would request you to take the decision about the lumber disc after a discussion with your orthopedician and the physiotherapist, together. Make sure you don't 'appear' too demanding to the orthopedician. Sometimes, we have to take certain decisions against our preference !

About the less than expected decompression, it was my view. But your orthopedic surgeon is in the best position to comment on it.

Take a detailed plan of action from your physiotherapist, regarding exercise schedule, how much to move about. Which actions to be avoided, how much weight to be lifted. Get a dietician's help to formulate a protein rich diet. it will help build up good support for your body.

I would like You to answer the last question. Nobody, or nothing will decide about your recovery, but You. Use the power of visualization. Visualize yourself as being fit and fine. And your body will follow your commands.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
I had a c6-67 fusion on sept. 28th 2007.  I started feeling better on 6wks post op and then started going downhill.  Prior to this I could bicycle 30 miles a day and now I can hardly get through the day without narcotics and muscle relaxers.  I was always physically active and now i am not.  It hurts to touch the big bump on the back of my lower neck but my nuerosurgeon just ignores me.  It feels like there is a dagger there and if I turn my head it  feels like skin is being cut. Lifting groceries or opening heavy doors are now a challenge.  My children do not understand my chronic pain.  Should I try to exercise or will this excasberbate the problem. This is not only a physical problem but my mental state is taking a severe toll.  Also my arms still have weakness and it is hard to do my job at accounting and data imput.  Any suggestions to a single mom trying to raise kids??
Just a note that I had a MRI again on Dec 26th. My Dr saw nothing but does not listen to my symptoms.  Is it possible it is scar tissue or adhesions??? I worry too about taking too many pain pills for I have always been a health conscious person and now I live on these pills. "Could something have gone wrong and I will never know about it? Thank you for letting me vent my thoughts because noone understands what pain I am in>