Neurology Community
Recovery time for ACDF & P

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Recovery time for ACDF & P

I had ACDF & Plating on June 2 2010 for my C4-C7. I have a post op appointment on Thursday this week. I am still having pain. I am still in the dreaded hard collar. I only take it off to take a shower. It is so hard to sleep even in a recliner. I am hoping the doctor says I can take it off. But my neck is still sore and I take atleast one vicodin a day. Neurosurgeon gave me Tylenol 3 but they make me sick and throw up. So my PCP gave me vicodin. My question is, is the pain ever going to go away perminately? I dont think I am ready for work as I am a housekeeper in a hospital and have to life very heavy things daily.

Also another question. This symptom just recently started my left shoulder, feels like the dentists shot it with novicane, like the feeling when you touch your cheeks when he gives you novicane, its that feeling. I used to have tingling in my left arm and leg before surgery, that went away but this is new. it just started in the last week or so.

Melissa
Many surgeons do not use the neck collar. I think it can make it worse not using your neck because it will get stiffer. I never used one. However, at your 3 week appt. your surgeon should have ordered PT for your neck. It takes time for your neck to adjust to the new discs and pressure is put on the discs above and below that site . I had shoulder and neck pain after the surgery and PT worked it out. I was much better at the 2.5 month mark. It usually takes about 3 months.  
My first dr appt after surgery is tomorrow. Yes I do feel so stiff, and sore. I hope he takes me out of this collar tomorrow, I cant stand it, it is too hot. It has been 5 weeks now. :(
Hi, Usually, recovery from a discectomy procedure takes time (standard is six weeks) and as everyone is different it may vary as well.  Most of the times, one may experience back and leg pain during the recovery period. However, essentially you should avoid prolonged sitting, lifting heavy objects, bending, twisting and excessive exertion for the first three weeks. It is not like that you restrict all activities but you should gradually increase your physical activities over this period. Additionally, common complication of a discectomy is that there is a possibility that another fragment of disc will herniate and may cause similar symptoms. Therefore, endoscopic microdiscectomy is appropriate in some specific situations, and you may check this with your treating neurologist. Hope this helps.